MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MCUmall Forums
 True USB Willem Programmer (GQ-2X,3X,4X & GQ-4x4)
 GQ-4X does not support 2716 EPROMs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
thunter0512 Posted - 03/10/2018 : 06:53:27
I have used my GQ-4X for a few years without any problems on a range of EPROMs.

Now I would like to program a few 2716 EPROMS. The programming fails on the first byte.

I have external 9V power supply connected to the GQ-4X.

During programming of a AMD AM2716 I monitored VPP and PGM (programming pulse) with an oscilloscope. Both are wrong.

According to the datasheet the PGM (programming pulse) should have a duration of about 50 ms (MIN: 45 ms and MAX 55 ms). The actual programming pulse varies between about 100 us and 2 ms, so is MUCH too short. Trying to change the Speed parameter from the default +2 to 0 and -2 makes no difference for the pulse width, but increases the interval between the pulses.

VPP without an EPROM inserted is about 27V (2V too high), but with an EPROM inserted it drops VPP to only about 11V. It should be about 25V, but never more than 26V.

I have bent the VPP pin up to be able to measure the actual VPP current and it is only 18 mA. The datasheet specifies for the VPP current a MAX of 30 mA. So the part is well within specification.

I have tried with AMD AM2716 and NS M2716Q both fail in the same way.

On startup the programmer software reports:

H/W Re: GQ-4X Re-1.41(SW Re. 6.38)
USB Driver Re.2.0
Software Re. 6.38

Detect Hardware reports:

Revision: GQ-4X Re-1.41
Serial #:A009200487

Voltage Diagostic passes for both VCC and VPP.

The programmer reliably programs M2732A-20F1 made by ST. Of course VPP is on a different pin and the device family is different so the programming pulses are probably within spec (I haven't checked this).

So it appears I have two problems:

1) a software or firmware bug where the programming pulse is much too short (and varies by more than a magnitude).

2) a possible hardware problem with the circuit being unable to sustain VPP under load (18 mA) on the 2716 pin 21.

Could somebody please help?

Thanks
Tom Hunter

2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
anniel Posted - 03/21/2018 : 03:31:17
quote:
Originally posted by thunter0512

I have now tried with M2716F1 EPROMs made by ST and they work perfectly every time. They require a 21V VPP.

As to the two problems I described above:

1) I mis-remembered the polarity of the programming pulses for the 2716 series. They are active high not active low as with the 2732. So the GQ-4X does the right thing. The pulse length can go outside of specification, but only for bad EPROMs which do not respond to shorter programming pulses.

2) The VPP was loaded to hard by the set of AMD AM2716 EPROMs I got. The EPROMs were simply faulty (or fake chinese dummies). With known good EPROMs the VPP is stable.

Forum Admin: It may be best to delete this thread to not confuse others.

Thanks
Tom Hunter

This thread may also help others understand troubles introduced by user measurement error and bad or fake chips.
thunter0512 Posted - 03/21/2018 : 00:42:23
I have now tried with M2716F1 EPROMs made by ST and they work perfectly every time. They require a 21V VPP.

As to the two problems I described above:

1) I mis-remembered the polarity of the programming pulses for the 2716 series. They are active high not active low as with the 2732. So the GQ-4X does the right thing. The pulse length can go outside of specification, but only for bad EPROMs which do not respond to shorter programming pulses.

2) The VPP was loaded to hard by the set of AMD AM2716 EPROMs I got. The EPROMs were simply faulty (or fake chinese dummies). With known good EPROMs the VPP is stable.

Forum Admin: It may be best to delete this thread to not confuse others.

Thanks
Tom Hunter

MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.05 sec. Snitz Forums 2000