MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MCUmall Forums
 True USB Willem Programmer (GQ-2X,3X,4X & GQ-4x4)
 Problems with ADP-054 for GQ-4x4 Programmer

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
IHeartEproms Posted - 03/19/2018 : 06:53:31
I have been reading the forums looking for a solution and tried many things, but have yet to solve this issue. I will give a description and try to give as much information as possible in hopes that someone a bit more experienced can help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am using a GQ-4x4 Programmer on a Dell OptiPlex Desktop PC with Windows 10 64-bit OS. I have installed the GQ USB Driver 3.0 and GQUSBPrg 7.15 from mcumall.com Downloads, although I noticed just last night when I start the USBPrg upon startup, it says "USB Driver Re.1.0 (is this normal even though I installed the USB 3.0 driver?) I am using the USB Cable included with the programmer as well as an external power supply (9v-12v toggle switch, 1300mah, 2.1mm ID plug Center Positive) I have tried in both 9v and 12v positions.

I checked my Device Manager and in my Universal Serial Bus Controllers I see "Cypress FX2LP No EEPROM Device" I checked to make sure my driver was correct and went to update the driver as per the guide on mcumall forums: http://www.mcumall.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6954
I have an extra tab on my Device Manager page for the Cypress FX2LP after the Events tab that says "Power Management". I took the check mark out of the box that says "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power" to make sure my PC wasn't cutting off the USB power to the programmer.

Windows tells me this is the best and most up to date driver for this device, but I have removed the driver and reassigned it twice to see if it fixes the issue, but no change. My folder name is different than what is shown in these instructions and is not in the root directory. Would this possibly cause an issue?

I have had much success converting rom files to .bin and writing them to M27C801 32-DIP EPROM IC's, and I have also been able to successfully program quite a few PIC12F629s. My trouble comes when using the ADP-054 adapter. I have yet to be able to successfully write to multiple 40 and 42 pin EPROMs. I have tried multiple M27C160's, M27C800's, and 27C400's (AMD and ST Brand). In my troubleshooting, I have tried the following things:

Checked the ADP-054 adapter:
Made sure the adapter is seated properly (pins on bottom of adapter are aligned with the bottom pin slots of the ZIF socket as shown on the diagram in the Device Location window) and pins are secure as demonstrated in the YouTube videos by mcumall.

Made sure my EPROM is inserted correctly into the 48 pin ZIF socket on the ADP-054 adapter (upper ZIF pin slots are empty for 42 pin DIP EPROM as written on adapter) with IC inserted with proper orientation of notched side pointing towards the top of the ZIF socket)

J1 (pin 1-2 are shorted)
J2 unused, as per instructions on GQ-4x4 (should I try taking the enclosure off of the programmer and using the address jumpers anyways?)

I have tried moving the J5 and burning in both V3 and V4 positions with no change in results.

I have tried to alter my devices.txt file (backed up my original just in case). I have tried to change the WVCC= value on the M27C160 as suggested by other forum users. Default it is a 5.5V, I tried to change it to 6.3V and I get an error message when starting up the USBPrg that says "WVCC=6.3V not supported" and will not load up the configuration for M27C160. I also tried to change it to 6.5V as another user suggested and the USBPrg will load the configuration correctly, but I get the same results as if I was to have it set at 5.5V

I have tried every write speed option available, no change in results.

I have tried 4 different USB ports on my computer, both back and front USB ports, and made sure no other USB device is pulling power from the same USB Hub.

I have got some write errors in both V3 and V4 positions. My most recent one I did a blank check which came back as "Chip is blank", so I attempted to write. After 7.55 seconds, I get an error message "Write Failed, Address=0x004000, Buffer=0x10, Device=0x00"
I have gotten several other similar write errors with different addresses, buffer, and device.

But I have also gotten chips to write and verify successfully in both V3 and V4 positions, but when I install it into my socket board for testing, it will not load. I did a continuity check with my multimeter on my socket test board to make sure my solder connections were solid to my capacitors on my PCB and to all 42 pins of my socket and everything came back good. I have tried to burn both with and without external power hooked up, no change in results.

Some 27C160's write, verify, and read without error messages but will not work, others kick out write errors. I get the same results from M27C800 ICs, M27C400, and any AMD brand 27C series ICs.

The only thing I have not tried is doing a continuity test on the ADP-054 adapter. It was not shipped in a shielded package, just a bubble wrap envelope in a box. Is it possible that something got shorted and/or damaged in shipping?

I would be most appreciative for any help I could get with this issue. I absolutely love this programmer and how easy it is to use the interface. I would really like to get the adapter working instead of using a different programmer for my 40 and 42 pin EPROMS. I am willing to try any suggestions and post results to also possibly help others who are having the same issue as me to resolve it.

Thank you!
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
anniel Posted - 12/31/2019 : 10:54:11
quote:
Originally posted by DulcePinel

Hi...I own and use a GQ-4x (not a GQ-4x4) and have not experienced incorrect writing issues. I have not tried using a PIC adapter. But IIRC, I did run into a couple nuances with two different SOP16 adapters, but all issues on both adapters were alleviated by setting "Speed" to -2 in the dumper/writer software -- not first time I've seen this type of problem with programmers.

Yes, you are correct, programming speed can always be a problem.
anniel Posted - 03/27/2018 : 10:30:00
quote:
Originally posted by IHeartEproms

Yes, I am able to read data from the chips. I believe I have found the issue. After tracing the USB ports on my computers, I found that I only have a stable 5v signal from two ports on my desktop, and two ports on my laptop, where the voltage doesn't dip sharply when a device begins pulling power from it. I was also having an issue with my tester boards, but once I fixed them, I used a multimeter and tested all of my USB ports on both of my computers.

I plugged up to one of the ports with a steady 5v signal and I got 3 successful writes that read on my system perfectly!

If anyone uses a Dell Optiplex Desktop PC, the ports you will want to use are either the top USB port on the front of the computer, or the bottom left most USB port on the back (the one that has two ports stacked together, not 3). For Dell Inspiron Laptops, use the USB ports on the back of the laptop, not on the side.

Low USB voltage is a common problem and can also be introduced by a cheap cable.
IHeartEproms Posted - 03/27/2018 : 07:18:41
Yes, I am able to read data from the chips. I believe I have found the issue. After tracing the USB ports on my computers, I found that I only have a stable 5v signal from two ports on my desktop, and two ports on my laptop, where the voltage doesn't dip sharply when a device begins pulling power from it. I was also having an issue with my tester boards, but once I fixed them, I used a multimeter and tested all of my USB ports on both of my computers.

I plugged up to one of the ports with a steady 5v signal and I got 3 successful writes that read on my system perfectly!

If anyone uses a Dell Optiplex Desktop PC, the ports you will want to use are either the top USB port on the front of the computer, or the bottom left most USB port on the back (the one that has two ports stacked together, not 3). For Dell Inspiron Laptops, use the USB ports on the back of the laptop, not on the side.
anniel Posted - 03/26/2018 : 13:45:29
quote:

Just a quick update. I received another batch of m27c160 Eproms from another supplier today and tried my luck again. I took 3 different dumps of the same file from 3 different sources and tried to program my new Eproms. I have 20 IC's in total. I have tried different combinations of everything from changing around the J5 jumper between v3/v4 positions, trying different write speeds. I got the same results: blank check said blank, file wrote and verified successfully, but when put into my system, I get a black screen.

I tried to change the devices.txt file for m27c160. People have recommended changing the WVCC from 5.5v (default) to 6.2v. Chips would blank check ok, but then fail to write before even 1%. I also tried 6.5v setting and got write fails before 1% after good blank checks.

Looking at the datasheet for M27C160, it says VCC for writing should be 6.25v (within 0.25v) and VPP at 12.5v. 12.5v VPP is not supported, 12.7v is default and the closest supported VPP voltage. Every write I attempt that is not at the default WVCC 5.5v and WVPP 12.7v settings fails before 1%.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I'm writing the same type of files, just smaller in size, to m27c801 Eproms, which are programmed at 5.5v, and my system reads them perfectly. The system I use them in has a read voltage of 5v. I made a new tester board today to see if that wasn't the issue. I checked continuity after every solder point to ensure that my socket board wasn't the issue. I successfully programmed 3 M27C801 Eproms and they work perfectly on the same test board that 20 M27C160 Eproms from three different sources failed to read on.

I think these ADP-054 adapters have some issues. Mine says it's a v4.0 on the backside and not a v3.0 as listed on the website if that makes a difference. Seems like I've found lots of posts here and on other forums where people have had a very similar issue. My M27C800 Eproms do the exact same thing and are from a totally different source, same with my 27C400 Eproms.

I may have to find an alternative for programming 16bit Eproms if I can't figure out a definitive solution for this issue. To those of you out there who desoldered the electrolytic cap and removed it from the adapter; did it solve the problem? I'd do it if it would for sure fix the issue. The only reason I haven't yet is I don't want to void the warranty in case the issue ends up being software related and they end up fixing it in the next update.

Can you read back the data from the chips?
IHeartEproms Posted - 03/23/2018 : 14:56:44
Just a quick update. I received another batch of m27c160 Eproms from another supplier today and tried my luck again. I took 3 different dumps of the same file from 3 different sources and tried to program my new Eproms. I have 20 IC's in total. I have tried different combinations of everything from changing around the J5 jumper between v3/v4 positions, trying different write speeds. I got the same results: blank check said blank, file wrote and verified successfully, but when put into my system, I get a black screen.

I tried to change the devices.txt file for m27c160. People have recommended changing the WVCC from 5.5v (default) to 6.2v. Chips would blank check ok, but then fail to write before even 1%. I also tried 6.5v setting and got write fails before 1% after good blank checks.

Looking at the datasheet for M27C160, it says VCC for writing should be 6.25v (within 0.25v) and VPP at 12.5v. 12.5v VPP is not supported, 12.7v is default and the closest supported VPP voltage. Every write I attempt that is not at the default WVCC 5.5v and WVPP 12.7v settings fails before 1%.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I'm writing the same type of files, just smaller in size, to m27c801 Eproms, which are programmed at 5.5v, and my system reads them perfectly. The system I use them in has a read voltage of 5v. I made a new tester board today to see if that wasn't the issue. I checked continuity after every solder point to ensure that my socket board wasn't the issue. I successfully programmed 3 M27C801 Eproms and they work perfectly on the same test board that 20 M27C160 Eproms from three different sources failed to read on.

I think these ADP-054 adapters have some issues. Mine says it's a v4.0 on the backside and not a v3.0 as listed on the website if that makes a difference. Seems like I've found lots of posts here and on other forums where people have had a very similar issue. My M27C800 Eproms do the exact same thing and are from a totally different source, same with my 27C400 Eproms.

I may have to find an alternative for programming 16bit Eproms if I can't figure out a definitive solution for this issue. To those of you out there who desoldered the electrolytic cap and removed it from the adapter; did it solve the problem? I'd do it if it would for sure fix the issue. The only reason I haven't yet is I don't want to void the warranty in case the issue ends up being software related and they end up fixing it in the next update.
IHeartEproms Posted - 03/19/2018 : 15:35:48
All of the pins on the underside of the adapter are intact and look very clean. Soldering looks top notch honestly. I got both my programmer and adapter directly from mcumall.com
anniel Posted - 03/19/2018 : 15:05:30
quote:

J2 unused, as per instructions on GQ-4x4 (should I try taking the enclosure off of the programmer and using the address jumpers anyways?)

On the underside of your adapter, are some pins clipped off (at the top end)?

quote:

It was not shipped in a shielded package, just a bubble wrap envelope in a box. Is it possible that something got shorted and/or damaged in shipping?

Out of curiosity, where did you get the adapter?

MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.14 sec. Snitz Forums 2000