Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MCUmall Forums
 PIC Programmer
 How to upgrade the firmware using the JDM software

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BlueSky Posted - 05/05/2006 : 00:36:08
I recently bought one of your Pic programmers, you mention the ability to upgrade the firmware using the jumper and some JDM software, do you have any more detailed instructions. I am afraid of disabling it. It works like a charm. Thanks.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ZLM Posted - 07/03/2007 : 08:10:25
Steps to re-write/upgrade the PICStart plus firmware:

1. Download the WinPIC800 from http://www.mcumall.com/download/WinPic800v358.zip
2. Unzip the WinPic800v358.zip file to a c:\ directory.
3. Click and run WinPic800.exe and set the software's programmer to JDM. (Settings --> Hardware ---> JDM Programmer)
4. Set the upgrade jumper on programmer. If you do not have jumper, just short the 2 pin by a wire.
5. Connect both USB and serial cable.
6. Click on the Detect Device button, the software should be able to detect the PIC chip PIC18F6720. If it does not detect, then check all connection and upgrade jumper if any issues. OR Just try to select device PIC18F6720 from the device list.
7. Load the firmware .hex file.
8. Erase the chip.
9. Click on Program All button.
10.After programmed, remove the upgrade jumper, and disconnect USB and serial cables for a few seconds and then reconnect again.
11. Start the MPLAB and try.
ZLM Posted - 05/17/2006 : 12:03:52
The USB/Serial button should be UP. The WinPIC800 only use the serial port.
Check your serial port are working.
I have tested on the above procedure, it works.

Let the push button UP, and then use original K149 software to initialize the programmer first. This will confirm the serial port on your computer is working. This also help you to confirm which serial port number your computer is.

Once you know the serial port number, then close K149 software and start the WinPIC800 software. Set the port number, slect device PIC16F628A. It should work now.

===============================================================

When doing upgrade those programmers, both USB cable and RS232 cable need to be connected. And also the on board upgrade jumper must be set (short those two pins). You can uses any of the JDM type PIC software to read and write the firmware of on board PIC16F628A(K149) or PIC18F6720(PIC StartPlus). The JDM software can be download from the internet for free, such as WinPIC800, IC-Prog1.05D or PIC-Prog etc.
ekul Posted - 05/16/2006 : 16:20:17
quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky

I recently bought one of your Pic programmers, you mention the ability to upgrade the firmware using the jumper and some JDM software, do you have any more detailed instructions. I am afraid of disabling it. It works like a charm. Thanks.

Any luck on updating the firmware? I have tried using WinPIC800 on jdm settings, correct com port, Windows XP and I can't seem to get it to work. I have both the usb and serial cable connected as well as the upgrading jumper in place. The push button is in serial mode. WinPIC can't seem to detect the hardware. It detected it once but even so, programming failed. Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks.
mcumall Posted - 05/05/2006 : 00:39:31
Both Enhanced PIC Start Plus and the K149 programmer are able to upgrade the firmware by on board JDM engine.

For example, the K149 firmware upgrade only be used when on board 16F628A replaced or firmware need to be upgraded.

When doing upgrade, both USB cable and RS232 cable need to be connected. And also the on board upgrade jumper must be set (short those two pins). You can uses any of the JDM type PIC software to read and write the firmware of on board PIC16F628A. The JDM software can be download from the internet for free, such as WinPIC800, IC-Prog1.05D or PIC-Prog etc.

MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz Forums 2000