MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MCUmall Forums
 True USB Willem Programmer (GQ-2X,3X,4X & GQ-4x4)
 GQ-4X stopped working!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
airdorn Posted - 03/16/2020 : 19:44:54
Hi there all.

I've been using the GQ-4X successfully for a few years. I'm running Windows 10.

A few days ago I made the grave error of unplugging the GQ-4X from power and USB connection to my computer. Then I shut down the computer.

Days later I returned from vacation and rebooted the computer and plugged the GQ-4X back in to power and also USB to my computer.

When I plugged the USB cable in, Windows complained with this:

"The last device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows did not recognize it."

In Device manager, the programmer is now listed thus:

"Unknown USB device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"

I tried downloading the latest driver on this site for the GQ-4X. When I update driver it says the newest driver is already loaded.

When I try picking off a list of available drivers and select the driver from MCU Mall, Inc., it begins installation but fails saying it couldn't continue.

Where do I go from here? I need my programmer ASAP, as I have a friend who needs an old PROM burned.

Lastly, why is this thing so flaky? It either works brilliantly, or it simply does not work at all. There always seems to be problems with the driver. Why is it that no other reputable hardware has inane driver problems?

I thought about upgrading to the GQ-4x4, but looking at the forums, it looks like there's endless driver problems with that one too. :(

18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
anniel Posted - 03/23/2020 : 03:54:12
quote:
Originally posted by airdorn

FINAL UPDATE!

Got the new GQ-4X4 in the mail today. Installed the driver using the .exe as per the sheet with the programmer.

Installed the software as per the sheet with the programmer.

It fired up perfectly first try. No problems at all.

I took the old one apart and inspected it with my AmScope inspection microscope. No physical damage, loose solder joints, ruptured caps, or anything else was detected.

However, probing around with my oscilloscope, I saw very little activity where I think there should have been. In a phrase, 'It's dead, Jim!'

Ah well, it was time to upgrade anyway!

Thanks to anniel and laptech for advice.

Thank you for the update.
airdorn Posted - 03/22/2020 : 20:12:08
FINAL UPDATE!

Got the new GQ-4X4 in the mail today. Installed the driver using the .exe as per the sheet with the programmer.

Installed the software as per the sheet with the programmer.

It fired up perfectly first try. No problems at all.

I took the old one apart and inspected it with my AmScope inspection microscope. No physical damage, loose solder joints, ruptured caps, or anything else was detected.

However, probing around with my oscilloscope, I saw very little activity where I think there should have been. In a phrase, 'It's dead, Jim!'

Ah well, it was time to upgrade anyway!

Thanks to anniel and laptech for advice.

anniel Posted - 03/19/2020 : 07:32:37
quote:

Yeah. Weird stuff.

I ordered a new GQ-4X4 yesterday. Hopefully that'll solve the problem.

Any way the power supply could have a stray voltage present between it and any part of the USB on your computer?
anniel Posted - 03/19/2020 : 07:32:06
quote:
Originally posted by laptech

it is not a driver issue, it is a hardware issue, your programmer is faulty.

Probably, in view of the additional tests performed.
anniel Posted - 03/19/2020 : 07:31:46
quote:

ANOTHER UPDATE:

I went up to my office, pulled an old Windows 7 off the shelf and installed the GQ-4X programmer software found on this site. I then plugged it in and got the same error response on this Windows 7 machine. Unknown USB device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

I tried updating the driver to the "signed driver" found on this website and Windows 7 said it already had the latest driver. Tried plugging the programmer into the USB port and the same problem.

It looks like my programmer itself is fried, would that be a logical conclusion to draw from this?

Also, are my above steps sufficient to getting the GQ-4X to run immediately on a virgin system (that has never had the programmer software installed)?

Thanks for any help!

Airdorn

Fried or maybe reparable damages.
anniel Posted - 03/19/2020 : 07:31:29
quote:

UPDATE:

I tried a fresh install on a laptop that has never had this programmer, using the installation package available on this website. I get the exact same behavior!

That tells me there's a problem with the programmer itself. Could it have been damaged somehow when I unplugged USB and the power cable (used for programming some chips) and then replugging it days later?

The cable and the USB B jack can be damaged or become partially unsoldered. The PCB could have been damaged by a static discharge or voltage surge. Some caps can have dried up if your unit is old.
anniel Posted - 03/19/2020 : 07:30:55
quote:

It's no use. Nothing I do will get this programmer working again.

This makes no sense. Why can't I just reinstall the driver to overwrite the old broken stuff?

Is there some kind of installation package that can be run to just reinstall everything?

That's a Windows thing.
airdorn Posted - 03/19/2020 : 06:41:57
Yeah. Weird stuff.

I ordered a new GQ-4X4 yesterday. Hopefully that'll solve the problem.
laptech Posted - 03/19/2020 : 01:12:50
it is not a driver issue, it is a hardware issue, your programmer is faulty.
airdorn Posted - 03/18/2020 : 18:02:46
ANOTHER UPDATE:

I went up to my office, pulled an old Windows 7 off the shelf and installed the GQ-4X programmer software found on this site. I then plugged it in and got the same error response on this Windows 7 machine. Unknown USB device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

I tried updating the driver to the "signed driver" found on this website and Windows 7 said it already had the latest driver. Tried plugging the programmer into the USB port and the same problem.

It looks like my programmer itself is fried, would that be a logical conclusion to draw from this?

Also, are my above steps sufficient to getting the GQ-4X to run immediately on a virgin system (that has never had the programmer software installed)?

Thanks for any help!

Airdorn
airdorn Posted - 03/18/2020 : 11:31:34
UPDATE:

I tried a fresh install on a laptop that has never had this programmer, using the installation package available on this website. I get the exact same behavior!

That tells me there's a problem with the programmer itself. Could it have been damaged somehow when I unplugged USB and the power cable (used for programming some chips) and then replugging it days later?
airdorn Posted - 03/18/2020 : 10:23:53
It's no use. Nothing I do will get this programmer working again.

This makes no sense. Why can't I just reinstall the driver to overwrite the old broken stuff?

Is there some kind of installation package that can be run to just reinstall everything?
anniel Posted - 03/17/2020 : 08:30:54
quote:

I'll go through it again. It's got to be a driver problem.

It's been working flawlessly for a long time because I never turn off the computer -- just simple reboot. This time, I turned it and the programmer completely off while away on vacation. When I turned it all back on, I get this driver problem and the programmer is not detected.

Thanks for your help. :)

Most probably an update broke something. It is detected if you get this "Unknown USB device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" message. That is a very common error message.
airdorn Posted - 03/17/2020 : 08:02:03
I'll go through it again. It's got to be a driver problem.

It's been working flawlessly for a long time because I never turn off the computer -- just simple reboot. This time, I turned it and the programmer completely off while away on vacation. When I turned it all back on, I get this driver problem and the programmer is not detected.

Thanks for your help. :)
anniel Posted - 03/17/2020 : 07:35:12
quote:

It's no use. None of those things work.

Why is this so difficult with this programmer? Always with the driver issues.

If none of those things work it's your cable.
airdorn Posted - 03/17/2020 : 06:52:01
It's no use. None of those things work.

Why is this so difficult with this programmer? Always with the driver issues.
anniel Posted - 03/17/2020 : 04:24:58
https://thegeekpage.com/fix-error-usb-device-descriptor-failure-in-windows-10-solved/

https://thewindowscentral.com/device-descriptor-request-failed/
anniel Posted - 03/17/2020 : 04:12:30
quote:

Hi there all.

I've been using the GQ-4X successfully for a few years. I'm running Windows 10.

A few days ago I made the grave error of unplugging the GQ-4X from power and USB connection to my computer. Then I shut down the computer.

Days later I returned from vacation and rebooted the computer and plugged the GQ-4X back in to power and also USB to my computer.

When I plugged the USB cable in, Windows complained with this:

"The last device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows did not recognize it."

In Device manager, the programmer is now listed thus:

"Unknown USB device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"

I tried downloading the latest driver on this site for the GQ-4X. When I update driver it says the newest driver is already loaded.

When I try picking off a list of available drivers and select the driver from MCU Mall, Inc., it begins installation but fails saying it couldn't continue.

Where do I go from here? I need my programmer ASAP, as I have a friend who needs an old PROM burned.

Lastly, why is this thing so flaky? It either works brilliantly, or it simply does not work at all. There always seems to be problems with the driver. Why is it that no other reputable hardware has inane driver problems?

I thought about upgrading to the GQ-4x4, but looking at the forums, it looks like there's endless driver problems with that one too. :(

Try uninstalling the driver first and then reinstalling after a reboot. Also try another USB connector on your computer. Windows 10 is quite buggy with drivers as many previous versions.

MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz Forums 2000