Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MCUmall Forums
 Using The Enhanced/Dual power Willem Programmer
 PIC16F877 Adaptor?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
heckler Posted - 11/10/2005 : 14:52:47
On the Advanced programmer, is an 40 pin adaptor required for a PIC16F877? as in the "Supported I/C's" it mentions using an adaptor for that chip.

Ta.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bobjacobson Posted - 04/03/2006 : 22:45:47
Ok, after reading one post, which helped a bit, I finally found the answer to my question. I also asked a few experts on PIC chips. Here is what I found so everyone else doesn't have to go through what I went through:

For a 40 pin chip (Mine was a PIC16F877A) you can MAKE the cable. Either solder the wires directly (I wouldn't) or find a 5 pin header connector and a 40 or 28 pin socket depending on the chip you need to program. Connect these 5 wires to a 40 pin or 28 pin socket, whichever one your using. Here are the pinouts:

28 Pin Socket
Vpp <--------> Pin 1
Vdd <--------> Pin 20
GND <--------> Pin 19
RB7 <--------> Pin 28
RB6 <--------> Pin 27

40 Pin Socket
Vpp <--------> Pin 1
Vdd <--------> Pin 32
GND <--------> Pin 31
RB7 <--------> Pin 40
RB6 <--------> Pin 39

I hope this helps any newbies. It would have helped me tremendously. Don't forget to look at the chip's datasheet though. It MAY or MAY NOT be different. It is always better to make sure the pinouts are the same. I am using a Enhanced Willem Programmer, which by the way, I love! After reading most frustrated forum posters, I have come to realize that it is easier to get mad at someone else than to try to solve the problem. Most of the problems I have had with the programmer is LACK of documentation. Other than that, I have gotten it to read and program many different chips. Hats off to the developers of this programmer. It is very nice for the money! If anyone else finds this post helpful, PLEASE pass it on. The documentation on these should be better written!

Bob
bobjacobson Posted - 04/03/2006 : 20:20:08
I have a 16F877A chip to program and I have the Enhanced Willem Programmer. Can anyone explain how to use the ICSP pins? Does the chip have to be seated in the socket? Where does this ICSP come from and what does the other end go to? I don't know why the documentation isn't very good on these. Is it some sort of secret? Or is this just common knowledge, and no one feels like explaining it? I wish I could have a manual that someone could say RTFM! ;)

Thanks in advance.

Bob
bobjacobson Posted - 04/03/2006 : 20:17:32
I have a 16F877A chip to program and I have the Enhanced Willem Programmer. Can anyone explain how to use the ICSP pins? Does the chip have to be seated in the socket? Where does this ICSP come from and what does the other end go to? I don't know why the documentation isn't very good on these. Is it some sort of secret? Or is this just common knowledge, and no one feels like explaining it? I wish I could have a manual that someone could say RTFM! ;)

Thanks in advance.

Bob
heckler Posted - 11/11/2005 : 13:34:22
ok, cheers. have you a picure & price of the PIC adaptor?

Si - Doing It Bit x Bit
usb Posted - 11/11/2005 : 05:49:40
Yes. For the chip with more than 18 pins chip, the PIC adapter is needed via ICSP connector.

MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.05 sec. Snitz Forums 2000