MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MCUmall Forums
 True USB Willem Programmer (GQ-2X,3X,4X & GQ-4x4)
 Linux support

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lou Posted - 07/19/2007 : 10:11:38
I see only Windows software for using this. Is there any chance of getting a Linux port or at least sufficient information to write my own? Does the Windows program/driver at least run nicely under Wine?

Older (parallel) Willem revisions have had an open design. Maybe this has one too, and I just haven't found it. One of the bullet points on the product page says "Hardware backward compatible with printer port Willem EPROM Programmer", so that's encouraging. But does it look (to the application) like a standard USB parallel port, then? Or is it a totally custom driver/API?

If this has been gone over ad-infinitum, I'll gladly read that, rather than prevailing upon anybody go through the answer yet again. But I'll have to know where to read.
54   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
texnusn Posted - 05/24/2015 : 14:38:46
The problem is a lot of us Linux users have the older programmers (me I have a GQ-4X). I myself use these to repair old arcade games. Can you please release the source code so they may finish the port to linux. ROBERT
GQ5XSupport Posted - 11/19/2014 : 21:40:32
quote:
Originally posted by dgriffi

Porting MCUmall's software to Linux really isn't necessary, because as someone else pointed out, there's already an open source project for that. All we need is to know how to talk to the programmer. If you can disclose the source code to the software, that would be a great source of information.

GQ-5X will support Linux and Mac.
dgriffi Posted - 11/17/2014 : 21:29:57
Porting MCUmall's software to Linux really isn't necessary, because as someone else pointed out, there's already an open source project for that. All we need is to know how to talk to the programmer. If you can disclose the source code to the software, that would be a great source of information.
jdg Posted - 01/30/2014 : 13:43:25
Hi,

is there any update on this:
quote:
Originally posted by ZLM

MCUmall will work on this issue.

I have a GQ-4X; and need to start a Windows VM each time I need to use it. Native support would be great!

Thanks,
Jean-Denis
kbzaloka Posted - 10/08/2013 : 12:36:32
quote:
Originally posted by mpatou

Has anyone tried to run MCUmall full USB programmer with that software?

this prog is mainly for LPT, not work on USB
mpatou Posted - 10/08/2013 : 01:24:45
Hello everybody

I'm looking for an eprom burner that would run under my linux, and I've found this discussion.
Concerning Willem programmers, I found this :

https://sourceforge.net/projects/geepro/

Has anyone tried to run MCUmall full USB programmer with that software?
DsB_79 Posted - 08/04/2013 : 14:39:58
have some one try to run the software from wine?
DsB_79 Posted - 08/04/2013 : 14:38:58
+1 for linux support,
Linux is the way to go.

jope Posted - 03/30/2013 : 10:56:17
+1 for Linux support. I rarely boot up my Windows machines these days.
vk4akp Posted - 09/15/2012 : 20:15:04
Hi, I see people have been asking for a Linux port of the software since 2007.

It's been 5 years now. So I wonder how things are progressing with this. ???

Today I was one click away from making a $200+ purchase of a new X4 with add ons and then I thought. Ops hang on a tick. I better check and make sure the software is finally available for Linux to run this thing.

I really couldn't believe that after 5 years there was no progress on this. :(

Come on guys. Get it happening.

Having to try and run it under some sort of virtual box is just a crazy over bloated work around for something that should have been fixed years ago. :(
.-.-.
Foul Posted - 11/13/2011 : 14:55:46
GQ-4X Working on VirtualBox under Ubuntu !

Just tested and works perfect :)

I'm Using GQ-4X with GQUSBprg 6.13 / GQ USB Driver 2.01 on Virtualized Windows XP 32bits.

My host is Kubuntu 11.10 64bits and VirtualBox 4.1.6 with Free Extension Pack.

No need to reboot each time i want to burn an eprom !!! yes !!
Bad_Ad84 Posted - 10/24/2011 : 23:10:34
I don't doubt that and everything has its place. I do not hate Linux or think its worthless (as you possibly might assume from my posts)

However, Microchips market (and therefore linux users, assuming a similar percentage) is higher = therefore worth selling to.

MCUmalls userbase is much smaller, the time invested to port is probably not worth it. If it was, it would likely to have been done by now.. Money makes the world go round and all that.
carlb Posted - 10/20/2011 : 18:45:02
quote:
Originally posted by Bad_Ad84

You just all have a very strange idea of "ALL THE PEOPLE WANT LINUX"

Some of the people want Linux, otherwise Microchip would not have just ported MPLAB X to that platform.
achaios Posted - 10/19/2011 : 11:30:25
Hi, I am very interested in your products but since I believe that "open source = good for everything"
I prefer to wait for open source linux support before I buy.
I would go as far to recommend c++ and a multi-platform gui library for the port, such as qt, wxwidgets etc

Thank you.
Bad_Ad84 Posted - 10/17/2011 : 08:13:06
You just all have a very strange idea of "ALL THE PEOPLE WANT LINUX"

Thread is 4 years old, number of people who want it is counted on 2 hands. Hardly worth the time invested vs money gained for possible customers (most of which have already bought the hardware anyway, so no new money in sales).

Plus, you cant get a programmer this cheap anywhere thats as good - so, its not really in MCUmalls interest, they already have the interest and the market they are gunning for.

The Linux fanboys "EVERYONE USES LINUX" and "LOL WINDOZE" just makes you look silly.
dragoncracker Posted - 10/16/2011 : 11:16:01
quote:
Originally posted by Bad_Ad84

All 6 of you

I believe you have miscounted
Bad_Ad84 Posted - 10/08/2011 : 08:38:12
All 6 of you
vk4akp Posted - 10/05/2011 : 08:52:25
HUmm,

Well since 2009 I have been looking at a return purchase of upgrading from my GQ-X3 to a GQ-X4 with extra PCB's and all the trimmings.

It's now 2011. 2 years later and all this time MCU Mall just doesn't seem to want my money. How sad. :(

Please port your code to Linux!

Most technical people do not run Windoze any more they use Linux for many reasons.

Is MCU Mall still open for business?
Do they not want all these sales from Linux users?
What a shame. :( :( :(
.-.-.
Bad_Ad84 Posted - 07/24/2011 : 22:32:21
Also, he has said "will work on it" - there is no time frame. If you bought something based on that and complaining its not done yet, its your mistake.

The product does what was advertised.
dragoncracker Posted - 07/22/2011 : 21:18:12
better suggestion, buy from a company that listens to their customers and follows through with what they say they will
Bad_Ad84 Posted - 07/21/2011 : 02:41:37
Suggestion: When you buy something, buy it based on what it does at the time. If it doesnt suit, buy something else.
dragoncracker Posted - 07/20/2011 : 04:11:59
I have added the software to codeweaver's crossover database as well, it could use everyone's support/votes
dragoncracker Posted - 07/20/2011 : 04:04:57
I find it entertaining that for over 3 years we have asked for support for linux, and been blatantly lied to and told "MCUmall will work on this issue" when in fact they have not! why not obviously there is a demand for it. obviously there is a market of sorts for it. so why do you continue not to support linux? running a virtual box is not linux support, if I have to purchase a license for an entire operating system after already buying your programmer that is not support. when will you answer the call of users everywhere and either write the software/interface for us or open the source code like we have asked you to for several years now? HECK make it wine compatible if nothing else, at least then it might run under MAC O/S as well, at which point you now have a cross platform solution, which every market can enjoy.
fugazi Posted - 06/15/2011 : 02:25:17
Guys,

For a price of 76 Euro's you don't have to worry about clones.
This price of the willemUSB is not kept synthetically high like ie. the dreamboxes.

@MCUMALL Open the software up ( or at least the interface standard ).
So a linux software version for the GQ-4X makes it an unique selling point.

Evert
ZLM Posted - 06/12/2011 : 10:59:59
With VirtualBox in linux, there is a success report from one of MCUmall cutomer:

"this is just a notice that I was able to use the flasher (GQ3x RE 1.00 and GQ4x
RE 1.41) under Linux
Ubuntu 10.04.2 64bit and VirtualBox 4.0.8 with Windows XP SP3 32bit installed.

I used software versions 5.03B and 6.12 both with USB Driver Version 2.0.1.
The only tricky part is, that due to that the software disconnects and
reconnects the
usb device during detection of the programmer, that you have to reconnect it
manually
in time in the Virtual Box Device Manager, so that it gets passed through again.
"
carlb Posted - 12/09/2010 : 10:50:24
I'd tried GQ-4X in a Sun/Oracle VirtualBox running Win2000 under CentOS5 Linux with no success. While VirtualBox itself reports a "Unknown device 0547:2131" the USBprg.exe app drops a WinNT log file and exits on launch - it doesn't even run the demo mode.

As the 0547:2131 device code normally indicates the Cypress (Anchor Chips) EZ-USB series of processors (or devices built around them, including a few broadband modems) I'd tried the Cypress site and found www.cypress.com/?id=4&rID=29746 basically advises to use the user-space LibUSB package when creating Linux apps to talk to this category of device for lack of a Linux-native kernel driver. The third-party www.acquiredevices.com/usbsoftware.html also mentions LibUSB and www.linux-usb.org/ezusb provides a small amount of additional info.

That may be useful to someone writing a Linux app to talk to this hardware, but there is no way to write such an app as the communication between the existing USBprg.exe (Windows) and the GQ3X/4X is proprietary. The existing app doesn't talk through LibUSB as it expects the Windows-native driver supplied with the programmer to be available.

I have no idea if this would suddenly start working in VirtualBox, Wine or any other Windows-under-Linux environment if the programmer's manufacturer were to release a Windows .exe which provided a "connect through LibUSB" option. While LibUSB is not a panacea (as it's badly supported or unsupported on 64-bit Windows) as an option it might improve the chance of having this operate in a "Windows box" on a virtually-hosted machine.

Certainly the USBprg.exe not even running as a demo isn't encouraging. I have no idea why that is happening. I would've at least expected to see the same sort of result as in native Windows with my shiny-new GQ-4X accidently not plugged in (ie: USB not found, running in demo mode...)

I'm not sure where to go from here, as really this is a question that only the manufacturer could possibly address.
Bad_Ad84 Posted - 11/01/2010 : 04:12:28
You still make no sense.

You say you don't see how a open hardware design and software would lead to a clone, then use another programmer as an example, but one that doesn't have an open hardware design.

You keep changing your point and it never makes any sense each time. not only that, but each post you make contradicts your previous one.

Arguing with you would appear to be extremely pointless.
audio_cf Posted - 10/29/2010 : 05:09:32

The original Willem Programmer h/w was designed by Willem Kloosterhuis, his website was willem.org

All other willem programmers are clones including the programmers sold here. Te original design was open however so the clones are legal. I don't know the legal status of later derivate using the willem name. The willem programmer s/w was never GPL'ed but sources for one early version were in the wild.

The s/w was done in Thailand by the same people that now has the sivava web page.

Xeltek programmers are cloned they also have closed source software, saleae and usbee logic analyzers are cloned, and they are clones of each other h/w wise, the software is closed source though.

I don't see any relationship between having an open source s/w design and h/w cloning.

The h/w cloning of programmer can be done without having access to the source code.

Look at galep they unarguably has a better product the h/w is closed design s/w is partly open source. It hasn't been cloned

h**p://www.conitec.net/manual/galepx/en/g5ocd.htm

Thats were I am going to spend my money.
Bad_Ad84 Posted - 10/28/2010 : 23:17:43
You make no sense.

You say in this post that the original Willem was Open as was the software. In your previous post you say "I dion't know what they were thinking makeing open source h/w with closed source delfi s/w ???" (nice spelling BTW).

If the original Willem was open both hardware and software (by your admission), by the power of reasoning, you arent talking about that in your original post.

And just because YOU dont want a clone, doesnt mean it wouldnt happen. most people would see a clone at 50% price and buy that, its simple fact.

You are just trying to justify it being opensource for your own gain/use, which to be fair is human nature, but dont try to sugar coat it.

I dont even use my GQ-4X anymore, I long ago moved onto greater things (at like 10-15x the price). But your post is just the typical Linux response "open source = good for everything" when its clearly not the case. Opensource has its place, but mcumall do not make an opensource programmer, simple as that and if he did, his sales would tank pretty quickly.

Lou seems the more sensible in his plan and is more likely to happen.
audio_cf Posted - 10/28/2010 : 06:46:39

Did I say that GQ-4X is open h/w? re read my post. The original Willem programmer was open h/w when developed by the willem guy in holland. Even the s/w source code was available up untill at one point.

I don't see why the h/w would be more prone to cloning if the s/w is open source or closed source.

Lots of clones of both programmers and logic analyzers are available from china and russia. None of those have open source s/w!!!!

I am not intressted in clone. I also dont think your argumet holds water.

A programmer that is open sourced could if it has an universal pin driver do so many more things than just program chips. Such as connect to CPU sockets and do walking ram/rom tests to test circuit bopards, like the old fluke testers.
The only limitation would be the h/w, right now the limitation is both h/w and s/w.
Bad_Ad84 Posted - 10/27/2010 : 23:48:45
1.Wont be "the most powerful on the market", it doesnt have the hardware for that.
2. if the software was opensource as well as the design, ZLM/mcumall might as well just close shop as clones would appear in days with rebranded software

Linux is good and all that, but the zealot "everything must come with source" just makes you look crazy.

Also, the GQ-4X isnt open hardware anyway, so your wrong from the start.
audio_cf Posted - 10/27/2010 : 09:19:32

The easiest way to get Linux support is if mcumall published the interface specs and started an open source project with a few examples. If the h/w is flexible then its just a matter of time before the programmer will be the most powerfull on the market.
Thats the biggest reason I didnt get a Willem programmer the s/w is not open source and it doesnt work with Linux. I dion't know what they were thinking makeing open source h/w with closed source delfi s/w ??? currently it seems the only option is Galep-5 and its just to expensive.
vk4akp Posted - 10/27/2010 : 06:55:13
How are things going with Linux support for the GQ series EPROM programmers?

I have held off now for over a year upgrading from my GQ-X3 to a X4.

There are probably many like myself doing the same.

Is MCUmall making too much money to need our custom? Humm?? :(

Please!! Take my money!. Sell me a GQ-X4 with Linux support!! :|

.-.-.
devnull Posted - 10/15/2010 : 01:05:15
+1 for linux support

Looking to upgrade from my old parallel port model, but I dont use windows anymore on any of my machines. The parallel port one I have runs on an old pentium 100 laptop running windows 98, but is headed for the bin ;)
ZLM Posted - 10/13/2010 : 18:06:41
MCUmall will work on this issue.
theamberco Posted - 10/06/2010 : 11:13:12
+1 on Linux support.
ZLM Posted - 09/10/2010 : 21:36:30
I believe MCUmall will work on this issue.
audio_cf Posted - 09/09/2010 : 11:58:10

I am also looking for a MCU/EPROM programmer that is supported under Linux. The only one I have found is the galep-5 which is outside my budget.

I dont think it could be rocket science to port an application if sources were available. I was trying to snoop the USB protocol for the TOP2048 but I realized I don't have any computer that can run the windows s/w.

/// Carl
Paradroid Posted - 07/07/2010 : 13:08:05
+1 on Linux support for whatever programmer type (I'll buy new as soon as some Linux thing comes up). Remember that chip programmers are often used by embedded developers. Embedded systems mostly run Linux these days, so their cross-development systems also run Linux. Using a Windows-machine just to program a chip would be yet another machine on the desk, which is cluttered with too much hardware already.

Jens
kilowatt Posted - 03/22/2010 : 17:55:52
+1 For Linux Support

I am also looking at upgrading to the 4x with some new attachments. about 500 order.. bad thing is 2 of the adapters I am looking at is out of stock and the new programmer does not come with LINUX support. I keep a old POS windoze laptop around for programming PROMS and a few JTAGS. I just wish hardware developers would go open!! I have moved over to open based CAD programs for the most part I do have an old ver of AutoCAD R14 running on Ubuntu but that is software left from the MS days.

KW
vk4akp Posted - 11/05/2009 : 07:38:30
OK, Well guys, I am now a returning customer.

I bought a True USB Willem GQ-3X and am now looking to by a 4X!

However I find it very disturbing that there is still no Linux support.

I guess I'll have to rethink my next purchase.

If there was at least some promise of a Linux app for this device in the future I would be prepared to buy again *NOW*!!

.-.-.
arkanoid Posted - 01/26/2008 : 12:55:58
Definitely in favor of Linux support. I don't even own Windows anymore.

So, has anyone gotten any specifications, etc? I'd be happy to contribute if we have some information. I have experience writing Linux USB drivers.

Worst case, I suppose we could reverse engineer the protocol, but that's such a pain.

Is anyone else interested in contributing if a project is started?
pa23 Posted - 01/14/2008 : 11:14:10
I too would prefer a Linux based solution. The less I give Bill the happier I am.

sherbang Posted - 12/12/2007 : 11:39:26
+1 on Linux support.
There are quite a lot of hardware hackers who use Linux and could use a device like this.

I'll be buying an old style Willem programmer for now since I understand that software does run properly under Wine.
vk4akp Posted - 11/04/2007 : 00:28:33
I am now a customer / soon to be owner of your product `True USB Willem Programmer GQ-X3)'.

The two main area's wher eI see your product is lacking are.

1. A quality case / housing needs to be made available.
2. Programmer software for LINUX OS needs to be made available.

If the company does not want to make source code available it could be distributed as binary.

Linux is becomming more and more popular. Where as windows continues to change 95,98,2K,XP,Vista + parallel variants Linux maintains a standard base OS that will require much less ongoing development on behalf of the software developer to maintain compatability for future OS releases.

Newer Linux like Gentoo / Sabayon support Portage / Emerge.

This means installing the package and updating woudl be as simple as clicking on or typeing `emerge trueusbwillem' or similar.

Please seriously look at offering software for your device under the linux Gentoo / Sabayon portage system.

-
Your hardware design is fantastic, I can't wait to try it out.
-

`And Remember - Only Amiga Makes it Possible!! ;)'
vk4akp Posted - 10/21/2007 : 21:27:03
Hi, I too would be interested in buying one of your True USB Willem Programmers if it was supported under Linux.

More so Gentoo / Sabayon Linux via Emerge.

TNX,
Ken - VK4AKP
.-.-.

`Only Amiga Makes it Possible!! ;)'
quaestor Posted - 08/27/2007 : 14:22:12
I would LOVE to use this programmer with Linux. Lou, I might be able to give you a hand if you're working on some software.
ZLM Posted - 08/01/2007 : 18:27:06
The application should work, but main problem here is the communication between application to USB driver in Windows..
Dbob Posted - 07/31/2007 : 23:17:47
Have you tried VMWare, or is the timing to strict?
Lou Posted - 07/23/2007 : 08:17:05
Ok, I have emailed them as you suggested.

What form does this layer take? Are you talking about Wine DLLs that emulate the corresponding Windows one? Or are you talking about some sort of plugin approach? Or something else, entirely? Is this something that exists now or something that needs to be created?
ZLM Posted - 07/20/2007 : 14:04:38
I think there is a possibility to add another layer to let Window application talk to the Linux USB driver. You may write the email to support@mcumall.com if you want to know what you can do on this point.
Lou Posted - 07/20/2007 : 04:09:59
I did do some ezusb coding once. I suppose I could write my own firmware if I knew what it needed to do. But if your proprietary concerns regard the design of the hardware, the firmware binary approach above may be more in keeping with your interests. Besides, that would probably make it lots easier for me. As the firmware could make it look like literally anything to the OS, I have no idea what's in it.

What about, if necessary, an NDA? I despise NDAs, but if there is no other way, then there isn't. I wouldn't be able to distribute the source, myself, but if I come up with something useful, maybe you (assuming you represent the manufacturer in that way (I don't know much about you yet, but I see you a lot in the forums)) could distribute something that would benefit your current or potential Linux-using customers. I wouldn't be writing a GUI app. It would be strictly command-line.

If not, then I'm going to have to borrow a Windows box whenever I need to use the device. Every time. It promises to be a big pain and make the product more difficult to use than it needs to be.

I could take this discussion out of band (email) with you if you think it is at all possible that we could get anywhere constructive with it and you want not to bore or disclose information to the other readers.
Lou Posted - 07/20/2007 : 04:06:07
Can we do something about that?
If not open source, then something closed or partially-closed that will at least work?
It is, of course, the author's choice whether source is open or not, but I had hoped we could work something out. I see that it is ezusb-based. What if you just supply me with the ezusb firmware binary and tell me how to talk to it?
ZLM Posted - 07/19/2007 : 22:21:42
Currently this software is not a open source. Also, it is only available for Windows. It's never tested under Linux Wine, but it should run without problem in Wine I think. The only questions is how the software running under Wine to talk to the Linux USB driver. The USB driver has Linux version. I think it just needs a software layer between Wine and Linux USB driver to link them together.

The hardware backward compatible is talking about the compatibilities for adapters. It is not USB-Parallel adapter type interface.

MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.15 sec. Snitz Forums 2000