Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MCUmall Forums
 Novice Place
 Willem Enhansed Universal - SST27SF512

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Siggy Posted - 07/13/2005 : 23:34:31
I have a Willem Enhansed Universal(LPT & USB plugs both at left of board) using the ja software and trying to erase & program the SST27SF512 chip. Erasing is the problem, searching threads finds reference to setting jumpers JP2 & JP3 which are not found on my programer. I have followed the EEPROM directions found at the mcumail download page which describs using W27Cxx dip switch setting etc. I have also tried the software recommended dip switch settings in both Willem and PCB3 modes with no success. The software opens windows and refers to setting of jumpers..I assumed this to be a software function and not hardware?
Advice is most appreciated.

Whoops...just saw a thread that asks how can you tell if the chip is good! "Will the programer ID the chip?" In my case the ID icon is shadowed...sounds like bad news.

I would still like to hear from someone on the correct method to erase the 27SF512 using this Universal programer.
26   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Buddyworm Posted - 03/25/2007 : 01:43:29
Ok gents, it was with some trepidation that I browsed these forums after purchasing the Willem Enhanced board (Parallel and USB port on left side of board) and reading the troubles users had programming their chips, but anyway, I acquired myself some 27SF512 chips today and seem to have succeeded in repeatedly erasing and programming the chips.

This is what I do:

Erase:
-Place chip as far down in ZIF socket as possible (there should be 4 empty spaces left at the top)
-Set device to W27x*** (In my case it was W27x512)
-Set dip switch as shown
-Remove safety jumper and set far right jumper on board to W27C
-Click erase button
-Lights on board begin blinking then stop, program says "Erase is False" on the bottom but the popup window with the progress bar remains open. Leave the program in this state for a minute or two and then press the "Cancel" button.
-Again, nothing happens, the program appears frozen. Wait for a bit longer, eventually a small popup window will show, click "Ok"

-Replace safety jumper on board
-Set device to SST27SF*** (In my case it was SST27SF512)
-Leave dip switch in current setting, it's the same between Winbond and SST anyway.
-Click "Blank Test" button and it should read "Device is Empty"

Program:
-Set device to SST27SF*** (In my case, SST27SF512)
-Set dip switch as shown in program
-Ensure safety jumper is closed (black thing above ZIF socket is on pins)
-Press "Program Chip". Chip should write and verify 100%.

I'll say again, I've repeated this process several time with the same results. I don't know if this will work for anybody else but it seems to do the trick.
starchland Posted - 03/18/2007 : 13:42:28
yeah i have the same problem with ebay boards....maybe they are ****.

Torontoaccords.com
ZLM Posted - 11/02/2006 : 01:41:59
champa, the chip not been erased and it has to be erased before write anything.

Due to the wrong design of the Enhanced Willem. It's unable to erase the chip 27SF512.
You may want try followings:

To erase. Do NOT set to W27C mode on Enhanced willem programmer. use a wire short the EPROM's pin 22 and 24. then click erase button.
Remove the wire after erase.
champa Posted - 10/31/2006 : 15:13:47
hi guys, i'm new to this stuff so please bear with me. i'm trying to program a nissan sr20det bin using the 27SF512 with a PCB3 board i got off ebay. i bought 10 of the 27sf512 chip to play with, so far i can erase fine but for the life of me cannot get it to burn no matter what. have been searching google for a few days now but i'm totally stumped.

the error message is "Error at 0x000000 Chip=0x00 buffer=0x02" (see screen shot below)

here's a picture of my board.

and here is the bin i'm using
http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/bins/50f05.bin
starchland Posted - 08/17/2006 : 15:27:38
well, I have 10 SST chips and cant erase any of them, ill check the Dip and also check the ZIF socket with a multi meter, i was regretting this part. anyway thanks for the help will get back if the problem solved

Torontoaccords.com
ZLM Posted - 08/15/2006 : 11:39:05
You need to login in order to modify your post. Just clik on the small paper icon with a pen.

Your jumper settings are on Erase position and they look fine for the erasing. You should be able to erase whole chip.

If your can not get 100% erased, then there must be some thing wrong. It's best if you have another 27SF512 chip to try.

Alos, you'd better to use a multimeter to test the programmer in Test H/W tab. And check all DIP ON position is realy "ON". Sometime the DIP switch has contact issue.
starchland Posted - 08/10/2006 : 17:07:31
hopefully these and the above posts help. i just realized that im posting this all in someone elses thread, i hope they dont mind and that it helps everyone learn.

Torontoaccords.com
starchland Posted - 08/10/2006 : 16:49:17
is there a way to edit posts?

anyways, i was trying it again and i could get one of the sst chips to erase up to 26% or so, it would keep trying to erase sometimes get to 26 or 5, or 10% or sometimes none, after maybe 6 tries, it would give the set jumper error thing, this was with ac adapter and with separate usb power only in version .97g. My other chip SST chip would not even give 1% erase.

Torontoaccords.com
starchland Posted - 08/10/2006 : 15:23:42
thanks for your help.
Using usb power. the vdd light is on, and the vcc light is dull green, vpp is off. I have selected sst27sf512(vpe 12v) and pcb3 mode.

It will fully burn but cant verify.

When I try to erase it says: '1. setting jumper for erase W27EXXX' now i click ok it tries to erase, then it says 'move jumper for erase w27Exxx and Setting Vpp 12.75v'

not sure what is wrong, maybe the unit cant deliver 12.75v?

I have selected sst27sf512(vpe 12v) and pcb3 mode, also all dip and jumper configurations are correct as stated. using version .97ja on windows xp. Would there be a driver or windows config problem?

All help is much appreciated.

Torontoaccords.com
ZLM Posted - 08/08/2006 : 11:41:07
the Dual power programmer does not need any wire jumper, just follow the software instruction, it will do the job.

The erase jumper's setting use W27C/SST27Xxxx and read write jumpers setting uses Nurmal different.
See:
http://www.mcumall.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=106
starchland Posted - 08/03/2006 : 20:58:00
I am having the same problem with my willem Dual Power trying to erase and burn to sst27sf512. Tried all sorts of things including the jumper and usb and ac adapter power. Now, it will start to erase but stops at 5% using the sst DIP settings, but get nothing on the w27c02 chip setting, is this the correct one?

Torontoaccords.com
80K25 Posted - 07/16/2006 : 23:17:01
Sorry for the delayed response -- Been out of town for a few days with no internet access.

I just tried your ZIF pin 1 to Chip pin 24 with no success either. I am starting to suspect that either my programmer is faulty, or both my chips are faulty. The programmer worked flawlessly with the AT29C256 chips I was using previously. Unless, of course, my old chip was fine, and it is the programmer that was / is messed up...
ZLM Posted - 07/14/2006 : 11:20:18
Just tested and found the 27SF512 have to be erased before write any new data.
ZLM Posted - 07/13/2006 : 15:23:06
Your programmer is different version of mine. I'm using the one from this store and there are some differences on the board. Maybe they are different in circuit.

I do not know if the chip need to be erased before write. I'll test it later. You can try it too, just load any data and then write to chip. See if it will program the chip.

Also, There is another way to try on your programmer.
Put the wire jumper on the ZIF's pin 1 to chip's pin 24. Basically this should have same result. But it is good to try since your programmer does not work on the Pin22 to Pin24.
80K25 Posted - 07/13/2006 : 13:32:42
Still no go... Is it prehaps a hardware problem? Are all of the LEDS suppost to come on when I jumper the IC? The red and green one by the parallel port, and the two green ones to the right of the ZIF turn on when the jumper is in place.

Is it possible I burned my 27SF512 out by fiddling and trying to get this working?

Here is another pic of my hardware with the jumper in place:

I also had another guy on the car forum tell me that I do not need to erase these chips prior to re-programming. Is that true?

Thanks!

Russ
ZLM Posted - 07/13/2006 : 11:09:57
Sorry. You are right, it should be Pin 22 and Pin 24 on 27SF512, NOT the ZIF.

Check the wire you jumped in good contacting.

I did not see the wire here. Other settings seem good.

On the ZIF should be pin 24 and 26.
Goto the Test H/W tab in software you can see the layout of ZIF.
80K25 Posted - 07/12/2006 : 22:28:19
Ok, I see my problem here -- The I'm suppost to jumper the ZIF pins 22 and 24, I originally thought I was suppost to jumper pins 22 and 24 on the 27SF512!

However, that brings up a silly question -- Which pin is 22, and which is 24?

Here is a pic of my board with a 27SF512 in the ZIF:

And here is a screenshot of the software:

ZLM Posted - 07/12/2006 : 17:44:44
I tested and no problem.

The key is:
1. do not set the LED to W27C position. Let LED stay in default position.
2. using a wire short the pin 22 and pin 24 of the chip.
3. do a erase command.
4. remove the wire and do a blank check.

if you still got problem, post your hardware and software picture of your setting.
80K25 Posted - 07/10/2006 : 20:42:28
Hey guys!

I too am having problems erasing my 27SF512 chips.

I've tried tulufan's directions with no success, and also tried ZLM's jumper idea with no success either.

I am running a Willem Enhanced programmer, and I'm trying to use the chips for my truck ECM.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Russ
ZLM Posted - 05/24/2006 : 22:50:45
To erase. Do NOT set to W27C mode on Enhanced willem programmer. use a wire short the EPROM's pin 22 and 24. then click erase button.
Remove the wire after erase.
InvisiBill Posted - 04/04/2006 : 09:49:59
quote:
Originally posted by DL

Hi, Are you removing the 27SF* erase jumper (or setting the device setting back to Normal on the enhanced universal programmer) before trying to program?

I'm following the above directions exactly. I use W27C mode for erasing. I then use the jumper and/or the Reset button to put it back to defaults for reading and writing. I have 3, 5, 7, 8, and 9 ON on the dipswitch at the bottom. The jumper next to the switch has the two lower pins jumpered.

When I erase in W27C mode, the status bar reports failure at the end, but the Blank Test reports it's blank when I switch back to the defaults.
DL Posted - 04/02/2006 : 19:26:23
Hi,
quote:
Originally posted by InvisiBill

I'm having problems with this also. Using tulufan's directions, it reports successfully erasing and writing my SST27SF512. However, the chip always reads all 0xFF. Any ideas?
Are you removing the 27SF* erase jumper (or setting the device setting back to Normal on the enhanced universal programmer) before trying to program?

HTH,
Dennis
InvisiBill Posted - 04/02/2006 : 12:33:55
I'm having problems with this also. Using tulufan's directions, it reports successfully erasing and writing my SST27SF512. However, the chip always reads all 0xFF. Any ideas?
smaddock Posted - 01/10/2006 : 03:32:22
I too am now having trouble erasing the SST27SF512 chip. I have only recently purchased a couple of these chips to use in car ECU's, but upon receiving them I find I cannot erase them. I attempted to follow the instructions provided by tulufan, however I am not even sure what model Willem programmer I have. I bought it off eBay already assembled about 2 years ago, and 'thought' it was the Willem Enhanced Programmer.

I have taken a couple of photo's of the programmer, but am not sure how to attached them, so if anyone needs the pictures, pls email me on maddock.simon@gmail.com and I'll forward them onto you.

Thanks,
Simon

Actually, I've just been going thru some of the online docs, and I can't seem to find a 'special chip' button on my programmer, nor do I have a 'safety jumper' that I can see.

Do I have an extremely old programmer that doesn't have any of these features, and if so can it still erase/program these chips.
Siggy Posted - 07/14/2005 : 21:57:43
tulufan....THANK YOU HEAPS.

I'm using the SST27SF512 chip to split bins in my 88 Camaro IROC 165 ECU. Your advice was spot on and I will be refering this thread info to other frustrated users.
Sharing knowledge is a wonderful thing, no bull.

Thanks again....the head pain is gone!
tulufan Posted - 07/14/2005 : 00:18:46
Always use PCB3B setting, the Enhanced willem is based on the PCB3B. Do not worry about JP2 and JP3, that is for Dual Power willem programmer.

The grayed out ID icon is correct for 27SF512. The Willem programmer does not support the EPROM ID feature.

On a Enhanced willem programmer. for the chip 27SF512, the erasing the chip has different setting with programming the chip.

To erase, you need:
1. remove the safty jumper
2. select the special chip LED to the position W27C
3. set the DIP switch 3,5,7,8,9 on and 1,2.4,6,10,11,12 off.
4. then click erase button.

Once you finished the erase, you can move to write procedure as bellow:

1. close back the safety jumper.(This will set all LED to default position)
2. set the DIP switch 3,5,7,8,9 on and 1,2.4,6,10,11,12 off.
3. load the data into buffer.
4 do a blank check to confirm the chip been erased and it's blank.
5. click on write button to write.

MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.09 sec. Snitz Forums 2000