Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MCUmall Forums
 Automobile engine ECU, Immo, Air bag chip tunning
 Kenwood/Subaru Head Unit Firmware

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jacbjacb Posted - 06/07/2010 : 19:47:53
Hi

Absolute beginner ..... Hardware yet to arrive.

I have a Subaru/Kenwood Head Unit that I wish to extract the firmware from. The firmware is located on a Fuji (MBM29F160TE-70PFTN) TSOP48 chip. In preparation I have ordered a True USB Willem GQ-4X Programmer and ADP-003 TSOP 48 adapter. I have also ordered a TSOP48 surface mount ZIF socket and 5 new MBM29F160TE-70PFTN chips.

Are there and programmers/hex editors who would like to help with my project to change the head unit language in my firmware. The project will mainly involve finding certain bitmaps (pictures) and replacing them with others. I am not the first person to do this ........ see the link below for a guy who went from Japenaese to Russian. I wish to go from Japanese to English Link to example - Give it time to load. ..... No I cant contact him!

My basic questions:

o I wish to down load the firmware – so I start by unsoldering the Fuji chip. Install the programmer and its adapter and insert the chip in the ZIF socket – OK. But can I copy the firmware, leaving an “unmolested” version of the firmware on the chip or does the copy process destroy the source?

o Where can I find a user manual for the various functions of the bundled software?

o Can the above chips be flashed reliably more than once? If so is there a real world limit to the number of times they can be flashed?

o When the firmware is extracted what format can it be saved in?

Thanks
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
PrinceOfAbyss Posted - 09/06/2010 : 23:59:41
jacbjacb I also have a Kenwood 2-din display. It's not a built-in display from the manufacturer, it's an aftermarket one that I bought to replace my original head unit.

The problem is that I would like to change the color of the OSD of the display from blue to red to match my instruments' color.

So, have you yet figured out which chip is responsible for these OSD matters? You mention about an MBM29F160TE-70PFTN, but what's the name of the chip in the service manual?

My display (Kenwood DDX-7025) has two TSOP48 chips, one is a 29LV800TA-90PFTN, marked as IC401 - Flash ROM OSD font data ROM, and the other is a 29LV160BTTI-906, marked as IC520 - Flash ROM MPEG decoder control program ROM.

So far I've unsoldered and read the IC401 one, but didn't find anything useful. The chip is almost empty (only very few bits are written in it), and I'll check the IC520 soon (though by its name I doubt it'll have anything useful either).

So, the one you ended up to be holding the firmware in your screen, what is it marked as in the service manual?
jacbjacb Posted - 06/11/2010 : 06:52:56
Thank you ZLM - Very helpfull.

Rgds
ZLM Posted - 06/10/2010 : 16:33:10
1. Yes. You can copy the chip. The best way is to use another chip for your testing. Keep the original one in a safe place. First thing to do is to read the original chip and store the data into a file for the backup.
2. The Help in software will provide a instant help information. The programmer comes with a pdf version user guide.
3. The flash chip is designed to be reflash more than thosands times. So, you do not need to worry number of times.
4. Once you read the data from the chip, you can save it as .bin or .hex file. The bin file size is smaller than .hex file.

MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz Forums 2000