PIC Programmer
 PIC16F877A with Enhanced JDM Programmer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

grim4593

2 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  20:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought the Enhanced JDM Programmer and I have been having quite a few difficulties. I am trying to use a PIC16F877A for my senior project design but I cannot get it to program.

First off I am on a laptop with a serial port. I dropped in the 16F877A and PICPgm wouldn't even recognize the chip. It detected that I had a JDM programmer on the COM1 port, but kept saying there was no PIC chip. I tried numerous other chips like the 16F684, 12F675, 16F676, 16LF84A, and the only chip that I was able to detect was the 16F684. The 16F684 was the only one i could program successfully as well.

Using WinPIC800 i was able to detect the JDM Programmer and the 16F877A chip, however it gives me an error when it writes and verifies the program.

I have also tried programming the chip by connecting 12V to the external power port and changing the jumper to pins 1 and 2. However, when I do that, WinPIC800 doesn't detect the 16F877A anymore, and the PICPgm still didn't detect or program the chip.

Also the red light never comes on.

Any suggestions?

EDIT:
I went into a computer lab on campus and the programmer worked fine. PICPgm detected and programmed the 16F877A, the red LED blinked and the program passed verification. I would still like to know why the programmer does not work correctly on my laptop however. My desktop computer does not have a serial port and I would rather not have to be on campus because most of my programming and testing will be done at home. In the meantime I am going to order a serial card for my desktop.

Edited by - grim4593 on 11/13/2007 12:01:13
Reply #1

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  01:15:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most likely your laptop serial port is not the standard serial port. The red LED not light up means it has no voltage or voltage too low.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

grim4593

2 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  18:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I have a old digital camera that uses a serial cable to transfer pictures, and it works fine. Shouldn't the programmer run using the external +12 voltage source?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.13 sec. Snitz Forums 2000