New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ealfiey

Netherlands
4 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  07:15:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently bought above programmer.
The main reason was to be able to program my Bios chip PLCC PM29F002T after a failed update.
After flashing the new Bios on my ECS MoBo, I was able to get into the Bios setup, change settings etc., but it would stop at 'DMI build', no boot.
I was convinced that with the GQ-3X re-programming my Bios chip would be easy, although I'am new in eprom programming!
After installation of the program & driver, choosing the device, using the right adaptor, identifying the chip, loading the Award .bin file, erase, write, verify, that should do the trick!
But each time I get messages where a certain address data was not the same as in buffer, but its not the same address each try.
Then I tried erase, blank check, then I get 'not blank' at different addresses each time I erase & blank check!
The values I get are not consitent at the same addresses, not at blank check & not at verify.
Therefore I get the impression it's not a bad chip.
Please help!

For a collegue I tried to re-progam his Bios SST49LF003A chip.
This time erasing and verifying went OK.
But his AMI bios was a .rom file.
The programmer would not write this file.
Is it possible to flash .rom files with this GQ-3X?

Thanks for your support!
Reply #1

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  17:21:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I belive the .rom file is same as .bin file.

Can you try use slow speed to erase the PM29F002T?

Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

ealfiey

Netherlands
4 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  04:00:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think .ROM file is the same as .BIN file, I was told that ROM is sort of self-unfolding file. That would explain that my BIN-file is 512 kB and the collegeues ROM-file only 256kB.
Question stays the same: how to load a AMI Rom-file with the GQ-3X?

Trying to program my PM29F002T BIOS Chip with the GQ-3X:
I have tried all different speeds, no change.
But now I noticed after ERASE often the RED LED stays on, even though the program says Device is erased.
After a second or third ERASE the RED LED dies. This is not a real ERASE because it take 0.0 sec's, but it apparently resets the Programmer (or the Softeware).
BLANK CHECK gives errors at a series of addresses. Each time i start it it stops to indicate errors at different addresses.
READ the device (RED LED on): progress stops at 98% then stops. Have to cancel to get out(RED LED out).
Again READ, no progress, Cancel (RED LED stays on).
I try DEVICE: nothing.
I try READ: Read Bar with no Progress, Cancel.
Same with VERIFY, ID, CONFIG, ERASE, BLANK CHECK: Read Bar with no Progress, Cancel. RED LED is on all the time.
Sometimes I have to pull the cable because the Programmer does'nt reset.
After two times ERASE (RED LED out),I try ID:

I don't think this Programmer is working like it's supposed to.
Can you pls. send me one that works(tested!) so I can do some succesfull programming.

TNX

Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  12:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the programemr hardware should be OK since it successfully programmed the SST49LF003A chip.

The ID report error is normal since it has other problem first. The ID should be checked after a fresh conenction.

Do you have second PM29F002T chip for trying?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

ealfiey

Netherlands
4 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2008 :  04:39:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sorry, you did not read correctly, because I wrote in my first email:

For a collegue I tried to re-progam his Bios SST49LF003A chip.
This time erasing and verifying went OK.
But his AMI bios was a .rom file.
The programmer would not write this file.

Trying to write the Bios SST49LF003A chip resulted in write errors several times I tried.

My 29F002T chip was stil working on the Mainboard, it showed the correct Bios screens at startup, I could get into the Utility screens, it would only stop at DMI build.
I don't think the chip was corrupt, only the programming, unless its damaged in the (faulty) programmer.

I don't have a second 29F002T bios chip.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2008 :  23:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tested a M29F002NT on my GQ-3X and it works fine with PM29F002T device type.

You can return the programmer if the programmer is defective. But before return it, it is the best if you can find any other flash chip to test it, otherwise it is hard to say the programmer is defective.

If you want to return the programmer, please write to support@mcumall.com for the RMA procedure.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

ealfiey

Netherlands
4 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  13:15:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really have the impression that my programmer is faulty.
I tried the two different chips several times and have not been able
to program any, and the programmer is not doing what it is supposed to. But I get the impression that you are not convinced.

But I am willing to try another 29F002T chip, I searched around but I haven't been able to find where I can buy this chip. It is apparently not readily available anymore. Can you send me some 29F002T (PLCC) chip for trying or give me a source where I can buy one or two unprogrammed ones?

You have not really solved my question about ROM-files yet.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  22:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not have source for buying the 29F002T.
If you can not get the more testing chips, then you can send back the programmer for replacement.

No ROM file type information found yet. The software shoulde be open it as .bin file.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.09 sec. Snitz Forums 2000