MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MCUmall Forums
 True USB Willem Programmer (GQ-2X, GQ-3X, GQ-4X)
 Xilinx CPLD Programming
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cubanismo

3 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2020 :  22:09:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm getting set up to program a Xilinx XC9572XL using the GQ-4x4 with the JTAG adapter, and I'm running into a few issues. I have a .STAPL file from Xilinx's Impact tool. However, when I attempt to open it directly in the GQ USB Programmer, it does two unexpected things:

1) Puts up the error/warning "Data size exceed size of device, data file has been truncated." This doesn't make any sense, since the file is essentially a script. It shouldn't matter how large it is. Looking at the device info, it looks like the device has a "code size" of 1024 bytes, and my file is about 256Kilobytes, but again, it shouldn't really matter when using JTAG programming from my understanding.

2) If I click past the above, I get the error "Couldn't create process, (Error code = 0x2) - The system cannot find the file specified." I assume this is a failure to convert the .STAPL file to the .jbc format the USB programmer understands, because if I download the jbc.exe JAM->JBC conversion utility from the website and convert the file manually, I can avoid this error.

If I click the first warning, and use the work-around above for the second one, I can click the configure button and I seem to have a valid action in the file of running the impact programming script in the converted .jbc file. However, is it going to work? Or has the script actually been truncated when loading?
Reply #1

ZLM

2939 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2020 :  15:30:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first error can be avoided by selecting the chip first from device list, and then open the STAPL file.
The second one should be something related to the software right or installation. Your work-around is a good way.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

cubanismo

3 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2020 :  20:28:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always select the chip before opening the STAPL or JBC file. I get the "Data size exceed size of device..." message anyway.

I'll try re-installing the software, but it's worked fine with other things so I don't know why it would have some partial install failure. Granted, the other uses have been programming EPROMs and simple parallel flash devices, so they didn't require any bytecode interpretation or anything. I do see a jbc.dll next to the executable in the installation folder, FWIW.

I tried programming the actual board tonight with all the workarounds, and I get an error -16 (ISC failure or something. I don't have it in front of me) right away. Could be a problem with my hardware as this is the first board I've built, or with my IMPACT configuration, but given the other issues so far, I want to rule out a SW/programmer error. I've ordered a knock-off Xilinx USB cable from Amazon to try with that method and hopefully rule out any issues with my HW or configuration. I'll report back when that arrives.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

cubanismo

3 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2020 :  20:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received the Xilinx USB cable and verified that I can successfully program the board in question using Xilinx IMPACT directly, so the problem is definitely with the GQ-4x4 programmer or its software.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.26 sec. Snitz Forums 2000