MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MCUmall Forums
 True USB Willem Programmer (GQ-2X, GQ-3X, GQ-4X)
 Why GQ 4X4 blowing out USB when inserting Eproms?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

teamzr1

27 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2020 :  15:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a Random basis when in the process of inserting 27C series eproms into the 4x4 ZIP socket (not all pins inserted yet) the unit blows out the USB connection.

GQ software then says it does not see the GQ hardware unit
When it does this the desktop P/C beeps and going into windows XP Pro device manager shows the GQ device driver still loaded

Only work around is to unload the GQ software and load again

I can take the same eprom like a NM27C512 and insert 6 times in a row but faults out the USB path once so happens on a random basis

Same random failure if using a 27C128, 256 or 512K 28 pin eprom
Same problem if an external 9 volts is plugged in or not

I think this GQ 4x4 burned out the USB I/C chip on my HP desktop that has 8 USB ports that work either as USB V1.1 or V2.0

Once this USB issue happened all 8 ports no longer would work as V2 and only 1.1 version so GQ hardware and whatever their issue is took out the V2 USB :-(

I installed via the PCI-e slot a 3rd party 4 port USB board and then Gq hardware worked again.
This 7 port USB board works from USB V3 to 1.1

This USB board by design protects the ports from backfeeding from devices plugged into a port

Version of GQ is 7.17, device driver says Cypress dated 6/24/2015

I contacted support twice to their email address and called them 2 times and after several days they still have not contacted me :-(

Clearly at time of inserting a eprom into ZIP socket (no external 9 volts connected ) makes no difference if I put the lower pin # in first or the last ones problem still happens.

That means at time GQ unit blows out USB that maybe 4-6 pins of the 28 are inserted into the ZIP socket (which is not latched down)
GQ software pops up saying cannot find their device and clicking on hardware test fails.

So again unloading their software and loading it again USB port is not functional again and inserting the same eprom the problem does not happen

Question then is
Why while partial installing eprom is GQ hardware blowing out USB ?
Why using the same eprom most times does not fail and other times does ?
Is there some software bug in either the GUI or the device driver ?

What is going on, is GQ feeding back voltage to P/C's USB hardware ?
I notice when this happens the VCC light stays on even when I gt out of the GQ software and have to disconnect the uSB cable and connect again to gt LED out

What is a fix and why does Mcumall either by calling them or email not replying to customers who are having serious GQ problems ?

Thanks

JR Team ZR-1

Edited by - teamzr1 on 12/24/2020 16:36:32
Reply #1

anniel

2529 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2020 :  06:07:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by teamzr1

On a Random basis when in the process of inserting 27C series eproms into the 4x4 ZIP socket (not all pins inserted yet) the unit blows out the USB connection.

GQ software then says it does not see the GQ hardware unit
When it does this the desktop P/C beeps and going into windows XP Pro device manager shows the GQ device driver still loaded

Only work around is to unload the GQ software and load again

I can take the same eprom like a NM27C512 and insert 6 times in a row but faults out the USB path once so happens on a random basis

Same random failure if using a 27C128, 256 or 512K 28 pin eprom
Same problem if an external 9 volts is plugged in or not

I think this GQ 4x4 burned out the USB I/C chip on my HP desktop that has 8 USB ports that work either as USB V1.1 or V2.0

Once this USB issue happened all 8 ports no longer would work as V2 and only 1.1 version so GQ hardware and whatever their issue is took out the V2 USB :-(

I installed via the PCI-e slot a 3rd party 4 port USB board and then Gq hardware worked again.
This 7 port USB board works from USB V3 to 1.1

This USB board by design protects the ports from backfeeding from devices plugged into a port

Version of GQ is 7.17, device driver says Cypress dated 6/24/2015

I contacted support twice to their email address and called them 2 times and after several days they still have not contacted me :-(

Clearly at time of inserting a eprom into ZIP socket (no external 9 volts connected ) makes no difference if I put the lower pin # in first or the last ones problem still happens.

That means at time GQ unit blows out USB that maybe 4-6 pins of the 28 are inserted into the ZIP socket (which is not latched down)
GQ software pops up saying cannot find their device and clicking on hardware test fails.

So again unloading their software and loading it again USB port is not functional again and inserting the same eprom the problem does not happen

Question then is
Why while partial installing eprom is GQ hardware blowing out USB ?
Why using the same eprom most times does not fail and other times does ?
Is there some software bug in either the GUI or the device driver ?

What is going on, is GQ feeding back voltage to P/C's USB hardware ?
I notice when this happens the VCC light stays on even when I gt out of the GQ software and have to disconnect the uSB cable and connect again to gt LED out

What is a fix and why does Mcumall either by calling them or email not replying to customers who are having serious GQ problems ?

Thanks

Are you working in a static free environment?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

teamzr1

27 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2020 :  09:14:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The top of my work bench has a anti static pad and I see no reason a eprom just having a few pins in the zip socket during insert would the GQ unit blow out the USB connection and not recover from it or prevent any backfeed through USB port.
I have used multi USB cables ( less then 3 feet long) and same results, some are version 3 USB cables that are better shielded and twists of wire to prevent EMI, RFI, etc
Same results using USB ports on P/C of Version 2 and 3
Same results if using or not a external 9 volts source.

This never happened using another brand of eprom burner and I have been doing this for over 25 years in custom tuning engine calibrations for vehicles

It seems like the ZIP socket even when unlatched that the contacts are showing and when in process of inserting a eprom legs touch those ZIP contacts and makes no difference if I put the top legs of eprom or the rear pins first and still on random basis this happens

Does this tool have some error report log to see what is going on ?

Thanks

JR Team ZR-1
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

anniel

2529 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2020 :  10:07:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The top of my work bench has a anti static pad and I see no reason a eprom just having a few pins in the zip socket during insert would the GQ unit blow out the USB connection and not recover from it or prevent any backfeed through USB port.
I have used multi USB cables ( less then 3 feet long) and same results, some are version 3 USB cables that are better shielded and twists of wire to prevent EMI, RFI, etc
Same results using USB ports on P/C of Version 2 and 3
Same results if using or not a external 9 volts source.

This never happened using another brand of eprom burner and I have been doing this for over 25 years in custom tuning engine calibrations for vehicles

It seems like the ZIP socket even when unlatched that the contacts are showing and when in process of inserting a eprom legs touch those ZIP contacts and makes no difference if I put the top legs of eprom or the rear pins first and still on random basis this happens

Does this tool have some error report log to see what is going on ?

Thanks

Post a picture of the showing ZIF contacts.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

teamzr1

27 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2020 :  12:49:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is photo and as can be seen the metal pins of ZIP socket showing
Being I only work with 28 pin eproms I taped off all other pins so when inserting a eprom it's pins cannot enter those slots

I have tried inserting so pins of eprom are either first going into the rear slots or the top pins and in either case this loss of USB on a random basis

As mentioned I have taken just 1 eprom and several times in a row go to insert it into ZIP socket and on random basis USB on unit fails
but then testing unit (after loading software again) and eprom both are OK

I only guessing that some logic or voltage on exposed slots and eprom going in slightly cocked causing some problem the GQ unit is reacting and backfeeding to units USB logic ?

GQ design should have something in to prevent this or is something wrong with just this unit. Hard to tell since Mcumall never responds to my phone calls to support or emails :(

JR Team ZR-1
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

anniel

2529 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2020 :  13:22:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here is photo and as can be seen the metal pins of ZIP socket showing
Being I only work with 28 pin eproms I taped off all other pins so when inserting a eprom it's pins cannot enter those slots

I have tried inserting so pins of eprom are either first going into the rear slots or the top pins and in either case this loss of USB on a random basis

As mentioned I have taken just 1 eprom and several times in a row go to insert it into ZIP socket and on random basis USB on unit fails
but then testing unit (after loading software again) and eprom both are OK

I only guessing that some logic or voltage on exposed slots and eprom going in slightly cocked causing some problem the GQ unit is reacting and backfeeding to units USB logic ?

GQ design should have something in to prevent this or is something wrong with just this unit. Hard to tell since Mcumall never responds to my phone calls to support or emails :(

With the lever UP the slots should have a contact on each sides, not both on the same side.

Here is what you need: https://www.mcumall.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=199

Edited by - anniel on 12/25/2020 13:37:34
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

teamzr1

27 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2020 :  23:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will be this be better then the one that is in it ?
Does this work for the GQ 4x4 model ?

Simple unplug the zip from the board ?

I ordered that ZIP socket to see if it solves my problem
Crazy pricing as the socket was $10 but cheapest shipping was
another $16 !

Thanks for all the help

JR Team ZR-1

Edited by - teamzr1 on 12/26/2020 17:13:52
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

anniel

2529 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2020 :  06:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for all the help

If you want a better one look here: https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/filter/sockets-for-ics-transistors/409?s=N4IgjCBcoKwOwWiAxlAZgQwDYGcCmANCAPZQDaIATGGAGy0QC6RADgC5QgDKbATgJYA7AOYgAvkQC0lKKFSQ%2BAV0IlyIGCGYh2ncVMRz02fEVKQKYAJybWHSCHESqagF780msUA
Go to Top of Page
Reply #8

anniel

2529 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2020 :  05:36:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I ordered that ZIP socket to see if it solves my problem
Crazy pricing as the socket was $10 but cheapest shipping was
another $16 !

Thanks for all the help

Keep us posted.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #9

ZLM

2939 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2020 :  14:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@teamzr1, many of those kind of problems are related to the poor contacting. Not only chip pin contacting, but also the USB connection.

Check the USB cable connection and contacting. Try with different USB port and good USB cable. If the USB cable is not capable to provide enough current to the programmer, then the initialization may fail.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #10

teamzr1

27 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2020 :  14:58:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ZLM
as posted this happens in my testing with 3 new USB cables that are less then 3 feet long and one is even the better Version 3 USB cable other 2 are USB V 2 cables with ferrets on to reduce EMI or RFI

It also happens in using all eight V 2 USB ports of the HP DC5100 MT which after enough times of the GQ 4x4 unit popping off the USB and tripping the error I showed in screenshots that unit backfeed downstream voltage to the USB I/C in the HP and now all 8 USB ports only work as V 1.1 USB

I went so far then in HP BIOS to turn OFF the USB hardware, paid for a 7 port Version 3 product that connects via PCI-e and voltage directly from the P/C power supply so all 7 of those USB ports are getting plenty of voltage and each USB port handles up to 1 amp loads.

Still the GQ 4x4 on random basis using multi brands of 27C 28 PIN DIC eproms the problem still occurs.

Fact this happen when Eprom is in the process of being inserted into the ZIP socket then there should be no voltage or current draw as not all pins have been inserted at time of failure by GQ 4x4

To me the GQ 4x4 is not designed (or failure with this unit) to prevent backfeeding from it to the USB P/C port it is connected to and instead of dragging this on now for about 1 month is to honor the warranty of unit about 1 year old and send me a newest one that has been tested before sending to me and assuring it has newest software and firmware

Also since this unit is popping up a error screen saying USB is lost shows something during Eprom insertion is failing on random basis if it is the ZIP socket or logic to it's pins

BTW
this happens in using brand new Eproms so its pins are clean and straight and also happens on used Eproms that either were erased or sill has code in them

Also found I had to change properties of the GQ software to work as XP compatible as not doing so the software crashes also

JR Team ZR-1

Edited by - teamzr1 on 12/29/2020 18:17:28
Go to Top of Page
Reply #11

teamzr1

27 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2020 :  18:15:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well that is it
Tsted on 2 P/C with windows XP pro, same failures

Installed on another P/C that has windows 8.1 and same failures

First attempt to insert a AMD 27C256 28 PIN E-prom and instantly
GQ 4x4 crashed with the trapped information

Windows events for 8.1 reported more info

Reported :

1001400x8000000000000015395
ApplicationAcerLaptop0PCA2Not available0USBPrg.exe1.0.0.1USBPrg MFC
ApplicationUSBPrg
Application #51459;1001
C:\Users\teamzr1\AppData\Local\Temp\PCW5E24.tmp C:\Users\teamzr1\AppData\Local\Temp\ACG5ED1.tmp
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_USBPrg.exe_915bf58fa3075f667939c2c864b99ece3ee4e9b_00000000_cab_59785eff052fe7fff-4a3d-11eb-828c-d053499d59f7100
------------------------------------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<CompatWizardResults
ApplicationName="C:\Program Files (x86)\GQ USB Programmer\USBPrg.exe"
ApplicationPath="C:\Program Files (x86)\GQ USB Programmer\USBPrg.exe"
MediaType="Fixed" CompatibilityResult="Success">
<LAYER NAME="WIN8RTM" />
</CompatWizardResults>

Serious problems with this GQ 4x4, if it is the software (V7.27)
the Cypress driver or the hardware unit itself

Mcumall design and support need to get on this ASAP

JR Team ZR-1
Go to Top of Page
Reply #12

teamzr1

27 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2020 :  19:49:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now add MSwindows 7 Pro also crashes the USB path in inserting any Eprom
and again the windows events log catch that the USprog is the cause

Log Name: Application
Source: Windows Error Reporting
Date: 12/29/2020 6:37:37 PM
Event ID: 1001
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: IBMT50
Description:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: PCA2
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: USBPrg.exe
P2: 1.0.0.1
P3: USBPrg MFC Application
P4: USBPrg Application
P5: #512;#448;
P6: 200
P7: -1
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\teamzr1\AppData\Local\Temp\{74aaa941-53d0-406c-bc4c-6bfdd206f6ee}\appcompat.txt
C:\Users\teamzr1\AppData\Local\Temp\TabF2D6.tmp

These files may be available here:

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: fa08f5da-4a47-11eb-99aa-c417fef66e98
Report Status: 0
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="h**p://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-12-30T02:37:37.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>4506</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>IBMT50</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
<Data>PCA2</Data>
<Data>Not available</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
<Data>USBPrg.exe</Data>
<Data>1.0.0.1</Data>
<Data>USBPrg MFC Application</Data>
<Data>USBPrg Application</Data>
<Data>#512;#448;</Data>
<Data>200</Data>
<Data>-1</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
C:\Users\teamzr1\AppData\Local\Temp\{74aaa941-53d0-406c-bc4c-6bfdd206f6ee}\appcompat.txt
C:\Users\teamzr1\AppData\Local\Temp\TabF2D6.tmp</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
<Data>fa08f5da-4a47-11eb-99aa-c417fef66e98</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
- <Event xmlns="h**p://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-12-30T02:37:37.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>4506</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>IBMT50</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data />
<Data>0</Data>
<Data>PCA2</Data>
<Data>Not available</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
<Data>USBPrg.exe</Data>
<Data>1.0.0.1</Data>
<Data>USBPrg MFC Application</Data>
<Data>USBPrg Application</Data>
<Data>#512;#448;</Data>
<Data>200</Data>
<Data>-1</Data>
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data>C:\Users\teamzr1\AppData\Local\Temp\{74aaa941-53d0-406c-bc4c-6bfdd206f6ee}\appcompat.txt C:\Users\teamzr1\AppData\Local\Temp\TabF2D6.tmp</Data>
<Data />
<Data />
<Data>0</Data>
<Data>fa08f5da-4a47-11eb-99aa-c417fef66e98</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

JR Team ZR-1
Go to Top of Page
Reply #13

ZLM

2939 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2020 :  22:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The symptoms look like a communication problem between the programmer and the software. If you can confirm the USB port, USB cable, and connection are good, then the problem may come from the programmer s USB port or itself. In this case, you need to send the programmer back for the service. Write an email to support@mcumall.com with your order number, so that they can check the warranty and send you the RMA code.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #14

anniel

2529 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2020 :  05:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZLM

The symptoms look like a communication problem between the programmer and the software. If you can confirm the USB port, USB cable, and connection are good, then the problem may come from the programmer s USB port or itself. In this case, you need to send the programmer back for the service. Write an email to support@mcumall.com with your order number, so that they can check the warranty and send you the RMA code.

ZLM, his ZIF is damaged. Probably shorting pins inside the ZIF.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #15

teamzr1

27 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2020 :  07:56:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In more testing on this I doubt it is the ZIP socket but will prove that when the new ZIP socket I ordered comes next week

I suspect this random failure of blowing out the USB port is some hardware issue in the GQ 4x4 electronics and Mcumall
ignores my emails to just replace the unit that is only about 1 year old. :-(

JR Team ZR-1
Go to Top of Page
Reply #16

anniel

2529 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2020 :  11:27:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

In more testing on this I doubt it is the ZIP socket but will prove that when the new ZIP socket I ordered comes next week

I suspect this random failure of blowing out the USB port is some hardware issue in the GQ 4x4 electronics and Mcumall
ignores my emails to just replace the unit that is only about 1 year old. :-(

How did you manage to break the ZIF?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #17

teamzr1

27 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2020 :  19:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ZIF socket I bought and paid for shipping showed up this 12/31/20
I installed it in replace of the original one

Within third time of inserting a ST 27C256 K 28 pin DIP, with about 4 of the front pins inserting with latch OPEN
the GQ 4xt crashed, P/C beeps and USB connection is gone as in all other failures

Poor design and quality with worse Mcumall ignoring they send me a replacement or even replying to my emails or phone calls.

Not sure why they have a support forum when they ignore their own customer base.

JR Team ZR-1

Edited by - teamzr1 on 12/31/2020 19:33:58
Go to Top of Page
Reply #18

anniel

2529 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2021 :  07:50:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

ZIF socket I bought and paid for shipping showed up this 12/31/20
I installed it in replace of the original one

Within third time of inserting a ST 27C256 K 28 pin DIP, with about 4 of the front pins inserting with latch OPEN
the GQ 4xt crashed, P/C beeps and USB connection is gone as in all other failures

Poor design and quality with worse Mcumall ignoring they send me a replacement or even replying to my emails or phone calls.

Not sure why they have a support forum when they ignore their own customer base.

If you are not satisfied with the design and quality of the GQ-4X get a Dataman or a Xeltek.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #19

teamzr1

27 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2021 :  19:23:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not the point is it ?
I paid $110 USD for this and right from the get go it had problems
So am I just to eat that money and then spend more to buy another brand ?
They were supposted to send me a return and never did, nor send me a new unit even though mine was less then a year old
thus not honoring their own warranty

Does not answer why Mcumall management or support on several emails I sent them replied once and
asked again what the problem is and then doing so they never replied back

Same as the long distance phone calls to them who are in Canada as not one time someone answer the phone and they
are in the same timezone as I am
Except 1 time a womand there who clearly think was from China that I could barely understand what she was saying
did say she would solve it all and then never heard from her again

I paid for a new ZIF socket on a chance it was the problem only to get the new one and the problems still exist.

IN all my testing, labor and reports I posted here to help them solve the problems they just ignored it and clear as anyone reading my 2 different problems as Mcumall support never bother to even reply to them

What it comes down to is a GQ-4x4 design or quality issue that is highly prone to static.
Even touching the plastic case with one finger can trigger a USB failure on unit
One test I did when changing the ZIF socket is lightly touch the small crystal and instantly unit tripped a USB failure.

By shielding the units case and using a direct ground reduced unit USB failing :(

JR Team ZR-1
Go to Top of Page
Reply #20

anniel

2529 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2021 :  05:35:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not the point is it ?
I paid $110 USD for this and right from the get go it had problems
So am I just to eat that money and then spend more to buy another brand ?
They were supposted to send me a return and never did, nor send me a new unit even though mine was less then a year old
thus not honoring their own warranty

Does not answer why Mcumall management or support on several emails I sent them replied once and
asked again what the problem is and then doing so they never replied back

Same as the long distance phone calls to them who are in Canada as not one time someone answer the phone and they
are in the same timezone as I am
Except 1 time a womand there who clearly think was from China that I could barely understand what she was saying
did say she would solve it all and then never heard from her again

I paid for a new ZIF socket on a chance it was the problem only to get the new one and the problems still exist.

IN all my testing, labor and reports I posted here to help them solve the problems they just ignored it and clear as anyone reading my 2 different problems as Mcumall support never bother to even reply to them

What it comes down to is a GQ-4x4 design or quality issue that is highly prone to static.
Even touching the plastic case with one finger can trigger a USB failure on unit
One test I did when changing the ZIF socket is lightly touch the small crystal and instantly unit tripped a USB failure.

By shielding the units case and using a direct ground reduced unit USB failing :(

It is true that when manipulating most semiconductor you must do it in a static controlled area. If you have a static problem you should first get rid of it and your GQ-4X will then work flawlessly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.42 sec. Snitz Forums 2000