MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MCUmall Forums
 True USB Willem Programmer (GQ-2X,3X,4X & GQ-4x4)
 prob. with am29f040b
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

manni

Germany
4 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  23:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Everybody,
I have some kind of problem with a AM 29F040B PLCC32 Chip and need some Information. The Chip comes from a Sony Vaio Notebook, that Bios crashes during Update.

So I´ve bought a GQ-3X with PLCC Adaptors (both DIL28 and DIL32)to solve this problem by myself....

Meanwhile I´ve tried programming several times, but expirienced the same problem over and over:

1.) ID Check fails
2.) Erase, Blankcheck and Blank Write seems to work, also Verify whith Blank Write
3.) Writing of Bios file fails at different positions, depending of Bios file (I´ve tried different Versions).
4. Lock: The programmer shows several locked sectors on the Chip...

My Question: Is it possible, the Adaptor doesn´t work correctly (I used the PLCC32 to DIL32) or is this Problem because Sony is locking sectors on the chip to prevent them to get updated?

Meanwhile I ordered some new chips, but i would apriechiate if i could get any answer.

Maybe i´m just a NOOB?

Best Regards from Germany,
Manfred
Reply #1

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  17:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The PLCC32-DIP32 is the correct adapter.

It seems there are pin contacting problems between PLCC chip and adapter. OR between adapter and ZIF socket.

Check the PLCC32 chip pins carefully and make sure all pins are looking good. Also, try to not push the chip too deep in the socket. This will help pin contacting in the PLCC socket.

Once locked the adapter in the ZIF socket, jog the adapter a few times to let it get better contacting with ZIF socket.

You have to get correct ID before doing anything else.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

manni

Germany
4 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2008 :  10:12:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the Answer,
followed your descriptions. The pins of the PLCC32 look rather bulky, so i have ordered some new ones. Had some success anyway, chip is recognized as amd...
I will let yuo know later.

Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2008 :  12:53:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ID only partially recognized. The device type still not read. There are till some other pins not contact well.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

manni

Germany
4 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  10:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, recieved new chips today and tried, still no success.
As you said, the ID is only partially recognized. What can I do? Propably the Adaptor defective?

Edited by - manni on 11/11/2008 10:06:47
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  10:18:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try to not push the chip too deep in the socket. Barely put the chip in the PLCC socket. This will help pin contacting in the PLCC socket.

Also, after adapter locked in ZIF, jog the adapter a few times. This will help pin contacting in the ZIF socket.

If still not working, get a better ZIF version PLCC32 adapter.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

manni

Germany
4 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  10:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jogged the Adaptor several times and putted the chip just barely into the plcc socket...
Seems to work now.
Thank you for your advice.
Best Regards,
Manfred
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.11 sec. Snitz Forums 2000