New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KilrPilr

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  20:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hello,
My programmer seems fine with most chips ive thrown at it but this particular chip dont want to be programmed or erased for that matter. Its a winbond w39v040fbpz plcc32 .

I used the settings from the closest match which is the w39v040fbp plcc32 but everytime i try to work with it, the device id supposedly doesnt match and even if i turn that part off, it wont program or erase. Does anyone know of a setting that will work with this chip ? or what may be the problem?

Ive reseated the chip in the adapter many times, checked the legs on the chip, reinstalled the software, restarted the puter, etc etc and nothing will go. This is a bios chip from a asrock mobo btw. The chip was working fine in the mobo before this. i decided to update to the latest bios version and havent been able to but the info on the chip did manage to get corrupted as if i put it back in the mobo, the mobo doesnt work now. Any help would be great. Thanks

Reply #1

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  11:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems software bug. Try different version of software.

http://www.mcumall.com/download/EasyPro80B/EasyPro80B.zip

http://www.mcumall.com/download/EasyPro80B/EasyPRO_Setup.zip
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

KilrPilr

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  13:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi ZLM,
I tried both those versions and neither work. They dont list the exact chip either. This chip is a winbond w39v040fbpz . The closest in the list is w39v040fbp . The older versions of software that you suggested does not list the fbp or fbpz. only the ap. The furthest i can get with the chip is to start erasing it and then i get an erase error. If i leave on id match then i dont even get that far. Please help! I have a dead new asrock motherboard here i cant revive until i get this chip reprogrammed.

Edited by - KilrPilr on 08/29/2006 13:48:46
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  16:03:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems you can not get correct ID.

One posibility is the contacting issue with the adapter, or the adapter has the problem.
So, check the chip has no contact issue with the PLCC32 adapter. I know some PLCC32 has contact issue with the PLCC32 socket. Try do not push the chip too deep in the adapter socket and let the chip's surface is even to the socket surface. This may help to avoid the contact issue in the PLCC32 socket. If you have a multimeter, check all pins of PLCC32 is in good contacting with the adapter DIP pins.

Also, you can try to use a compatible device for reading and writting. E.g. SST49LF040
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

KilrPilr

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  21:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just tried a winbond w49v002a and it programmed it no problem. to load the chip in my plcc32 adapter, i leave the chip upside down on the table and then place the adater socket over top of it and then gently push down to seat it. I can program other chips, just this particular chip is being ignorant. Unfortunately I dont have another chip of the same type to test with. I dont know what else to try. I tried the sst chip like u suggested but it gives the same errors.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  03:54:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you try to select SST49LF040 from software to program w39v040fbpz?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

KilrPilr

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  12:43:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZLM

Did you try to select SST49LF040 from software to program w39v040fbpz?

Yes and its still a no go. Is there any other setting i could try to program this chip? Its like it wont erase it completely. Everytime I try to erase, it gets to 14400 area on the chip and then it stops and errors. Any ideas?

Edited by - KilrPilr on 09/17/2006 12:46:23
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  01:28:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bad chip?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #8

KilrPilr

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  21:23:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah im thinking that it probably is. Funny though as its out of a brand new mobo that was working fine until i decided to pull the chip to upgrade the bios. Does anyone have a winbond 39v040fbpz or equivalent they could sell me ? Please let me know. Thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.11 sec. Snitz Forums 2000