MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MCUmall Forums
 True USB Willem Programmer (GQ-2X,3X,4X & GQ-4x4)
 GQ-4X doesn't read properly 4 and 8MB chip
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doktortelecom

Romania
5 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2013 :  23:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, for the last 3 months i am facing this problem with my GQ-4x:
I am trying to read chips 4MB and 8 MB such as W25Q32, MX25l3205, MX25L3206, 25VF032ext, and MX25L6405, MX25l6406. After saving the bin resulted, verifying is ok but if i try to write the bin readed {laptop bios} the laptop wil not make POST at all, power on but no boot.I guess is a reading problem because if i write a bios bin from manufacturer's support the laptop works fine.Any sugestions ? Might it be another bug in the software of GQ-4x manufacturer?
I guess it's only reading the first 2 MB from the chip, after that is only FFFFFs in the vbin read.

If we can't do it nobody does! www.doktortelecom.ro
Reply #1

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2013 :  22:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
make sure your orginal chip is good. Those chips are tested and the read should be fine.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

GiGs

3 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2013 :  20:28:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have the exact same problem...long story short it *IS* a bug.

I spent many hours trying to figure out this problem (multiple software installs, chip reads, MD5 calculations, soldering etc).

GQ USBprg 6.13 and lower = Good
GQ USBprg 6.14 and higher = Bad

OS and / or driver version do not matter !

I have wasted a lot of time, from a quick look it's possibly something to do with devices.txt. When I looked under devices.txt one quick difference I noticed was that from version 6.14 and higher under class it's changed from e.g Class="W25X10" to Class="W25X10_FAST" (if I remember correctly).

Can't be bothered looking into the issue further as I have solved the problem by using 6.13 files from another PC.

If anybody has the installer for GQ USBprg 6.13 please post, otherwise they can download the folder I compressed to RAR from C:\Program Files\ located here :

h**p://www.sendspace.com/file/kqn66n
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

GiGs

3 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2013 :  21:16:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to post an update :

I have tested multiple units now and the problem is solved !!!

To those wondering how to use the files, install GQ USBprg (doesn't matter which version - I used the latest 6.23), delete all files in your installation directory then extract the RAR file to your installation directory.

To those who want to investigate the issue ...

* Read one of the chips mentioned (in my case I used W25Q32 and MX25L3205)
* Calculate the MD5
* Un-install your current version of GQ USBprg
* Re-install another version
* Read the chip again
* Watch how the MD5 changes

I found that (from memory) 6.14, 6.16 and 6.23 gave the same MD5 checksum, 6.15b was different.

Would like to know if other people are experiencing the same thing and if anyone else has the GQ USBprg 6.13 Installer...
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

Bad_Ad84

210 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2013 :  23:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the algorithm has been changed to speed it up (hence the _fast in the class). Which is reading the data wrong.

Try select a slower read speed. If that fails, just edit the devices.txt and remove the _fast to return it to the old algorithm. You could even copy it and have both the fast and normal ones selectable by adding (Fast) and (Normal) to the name
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2013 :  10:35:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. If you want go back to slower SPI algorithm, remove the _FAST from the devices.txt file.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

doktortelecom

Romania
5 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  08:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess the next update will fix this issue.I've spent a lot of time and costed some money to fix the broken bins"read" with this sw bug. Is not so nice... Mcumall support tean should fix this bug.Now i am using the 6.13 version and it works.

If we can't do it nobody does! www.doktortelecom.ro
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

khaahk

22 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  00:58:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can confirm this problem with MX25L3205.
When using the _FAST algoritm for read, the file gets all FF starting from the address of 003FF360.
This needs to be looked into, because the algoritm is used with many chips.
Did multiple reads with the same chip, the reads with _FAST algoritm are identical (all FF-s from the mentioned address). Tried different speed settings also.
The slower algoritm (without the _FAST) reads are ok.
Program version 6.21, HW GQ-4X 1.40
If i can not be sure of the result of the read, then it is a serious problem with the reliability of the product.
Something must be done shortly!!!
Go to Top of Page
Reply #8

khaahk

22 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  07:57:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Small update:
the problem is also with an W25X16, the _FAST mode read gives all FF-s starting from 1FE0F8, slow mode gives another (correct) result.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #9

khaahk

22 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2013 :  04:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
update again:
Same problem appears to be with MX25L6405
dump is different, starting from 7FF400 the _FAST modes gives all FF-s
Havent't had any responce from sales or support emails by mcumall.
Sad behavior...
Go to Top of Page
Reply #10

Bad_Ad84

210 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2013 :  23:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its the same family of chip, using the same reading class - so its going to have the same problem.

This is the same issue, rather than "another" problem. Just do a search and replace to change them all at once until its fixed.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #11

khaahk

22 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  02:17:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, i have already done so. Just keeping the topic hot, so that anybody who has the same problem
can fix and spend less time to troubleshoot.
As now i got responce from ZLM that the problem can not be reproduced by him, so the problem must lie in somewhere else. Will try to troubleshoot with different op. systems and computers to get to the point of the problem. Will keep the topic updated if any news.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #12

vlad_itj

Brazil
8 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  06:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks,
I have the same problem. For now removed the "_FAST" in devices.txt.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #13

pedro81

Italy
1 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2014 :  15:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
goodnight everyone. I have the same problem up, i'm trying to programming a 8Mb SPI Winbond 25q64fvsig with the GQ-4X programmer: doesn't erase and returns a "verified failed" errors and the flashing fails. I've the last version of USB Prg 6.23, i've tried with the 6.17 too ( the older i have ) but no success! I've tried to modify device.txt removing "_last" specification, but no success again. Someone of you had the 6.13 version available to send me? Any other suggestions for resolve my problem? Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #14

BDMaster

Italy
4 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2014 :  22:25:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi friends,
I will say few things about Bioses as I don't know which Bios is yours, but lately all manifacturers are giviing Bioses Signed and SecureFlash checked, more
they are Capsulated (2.xx version) !
So these Capsulated file have an Header and Tail which will be removed by UEFI reflash Procedure, if we use the Capsulated Bios flashing by Programmer We
will get a file longer whit the HVR offset in a wrong place and Bios will be corrupted !
Look this mine DirtyGuide to How Remove Capsule : h t t p://rghost.net/52544682
I gave to many users the Decapsulated Bioses to use into theirs programmers and all were working well !
So I think this is your issue ;)
Let me know
Regards

P.S. Bios-Guru on Bios-mods.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.2 sec. Snitz Forums 2000