ST M27C256B not reading in TL866II?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Calab

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2022 :  14:21:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently purchased five ST M27C256B EPROMs on eBay. Now I am trying to use one, but when I try to read it, or verify that it's blank I get a Check ID error.

I am using XGPro v12.05 and a TL866II-Plus v 04.02.129 EPROM burner on a Windows 11 PC. This combination has worked before, but I've recently wiped my system and did a fresh installation of Windows and XGPro.

I have selected the correct chip in the software. The chip is in the socket correctly. Device manager in Windows looks OK.

When I try to read or blank check the chip, the ID that I see is 0x0800. If I skip the ID check and do a read, the chip is full of "F8".

I do have a second chip in my EPROM eraser, but I don't think that it's going to help.

Is it possible that the XGPro software is damaged, or the EPROM burner itself is not working correctly? Is there anything I can do the check this?
Reply #1

anniel

2529 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2022 :  06:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Calab

I recently purchased five ST M27C256B EPROMs on eBay. Now I am trying to use one, but when I try to read it, or verify that it's blank I get a Check ID error.

I am using XGPro v12.05 and a TL866II-Plus v 04.02.129 EPROM burner on a Windows 11 PC. This combination has worked before, but I've recently wiped my system and did a fresh installation of Windows and XGPro.

I have selected the correct chip in the software. The chip is in the socket correctly. Device manager in Windows looks OK.

When I try to read or blank check the chip, the ID that I see is 0x0800. If I skip the ID check and do a read, the chip is full of "F8".

I do have a second chip in my EPROM eraser, but I don't think that it's going to help.

Is it possible that the XGPro software is damaged, or the EPROM burner itself is not working correctly? Is there anything I can do the check this?

Ask the manufacturer, they certainly can help you.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

Calab

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2022 :  09:01:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to follow up...

I did some testing on these chips, and others that I have and have determined that my EPROM burners are working properly. I just received "fake" EPROMs.

I was able to burn a M27512 for my purposes.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

anniel

2529 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2022 :  14:55:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Calab

Just to follow up...

I did some testing on these chips, and others that I have and have determined that my EPROM burners are working properly. I just received "fake" EPROMs.

I was able to burn a M27512 for my purposes.

Fakes are common since they are long time obsolete chips.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz Forums 2000