Newbie - Willem Enhanced USB
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ramen Noodle

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  02:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi! I purchased willem enhanced programmer from EBAY..http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7565623938

I am trying to program SST39VF040 70-4C-NH chip without success. I purchased 3 chips new from mouser for this project, i need to replace a motherboard bios. I have been unlucky searching for walkthroughs on how to use this thing and i am completely new to this chip programming stuff. Here is where i am at: my computer uses xp pro SP1 and it is clean install. I click test hardware in willem 0.97G and it says hardware present on LPT1. If i try to burn my .BIN i get error: 0X000000 Chip = 0X78 buffer = 0X7C

I selected SST39LF/VF040 in the willem software and selected PCB3 from the toolbar and set my DIP switch as shown. I bet i am missing something very easy, but i am new. The seller stated that this programmer can definately program my chips. I am really at a loss as to making this work. Any and all help greatly appreciated!!! Also i tried searching this forum and was met with little success...:(
Reply #1

Ramen Noodle

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  21:12:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, boy do i feel stupid... Once seating the chip FULLY into its socket i am able to get chip I.D. and have been able to program and erase it. I still have a problem though... After carefully soldering the new chip on the motherboard the thing still does not work.. i burned 089cf45w.uma to the chip. Only file compaq says is available are one of those winPhlash bios updaters. I extracted everything from the winPhlash exe and have 3 files i suspect are bios files. windows reports all three as 513KB each. willem loads them all without problem. question is, am i supposed to load all of them on the chip or select one?? the files are:
089cf45w.uma 0898f45w.m9x 0898f45w.m10 I am totally stumped now. I thought i had problems before. Now i seem to have gotten this neat little willem burner working but dont know what to do now. Please, any help would go a long way!!!
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

kd6aaj

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  20:38:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
google for bin2hex.exe or hex2bin.exe

maybe not a bin format?
download a free hexeditor.

Ed
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

DL

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  11:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I don't think that programmer supports low voltage devices correctly. Can't tell because there's no schematic...

SST39VF040 is VCC=2.7-3.6V. SST is really poor about specifying absolute max for VCC. If it's under 5V, you may be damaging your devices. Some low voltage devices are 5V tolerant, some aren't. SST doesn't mention this device being 5V tolerant, so I'd assume that it isn't. Oxide damage can manifest itself in many ways. The best is immediate failure so you know the device is bad. All of the others are bad because it can lead to degraded performance with eventual failure. The problem is you don't know what you're going to get...

The only programmer I know of that handles low voltages correctly is the Willem 4.1. But you still need to know what voltages to use. The 4.0 and 4.5 programmers had low voltage options on the programmer, but the interface to the computer sometimes had problems with low voltage signals.

quote:
Originally posted by Ramen Noodle

Hi! I purchased willem enhanced programmer from EBAY..http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7565623938

I am trying to program SST39VF040 70-4C-NH chip without success. I purchased 3 chips new from mouser for this project, i need to replace a motherboard bios. I have been unlucky searching for walkthroughs on how to use this thing and i am completely new to this chip programming stuff. Here is where i am at: my computer uses xp pro SP1 and it is clean install. I click test hardware in willem 0.97G and it says hardware present on LPT1. If i try to burn my .BIN i get error: 0X000000 Chip = 0X78 buffer = 0X7C

HTH,
Dennis

Edited by - DL on 02/16/2006 11:46:26
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.11 sec. Snitz Forums 2000