Using The Enhanced/Dual power Willem Programmer
 PIC16F628A Error Writing Program Area
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SpeedyDog

3 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  11:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I'm new to MCUs. I bought myself an enhanced willem programmer, printer port + USB power. I also bought myself a PIC16F628A from digikey.

I've put the chip in, I believe correctly. the U indention (pin 1?) on the chip is closest to the DIP Settings in the ZIF socket. I set all DIP settings as the picture shows in the program for the chip, all OFF.

Now... The program acts the same as if there is a chip in or there is no chip so i can't even decide if it's picking up my chip.

I can click Read Chip and it just displays a bunch of 3FFF in the program and 00 in the Data. If I click Program PIC while it's all 'blank' full of 3FFFs no problem takes say 30seconds to program goes through Program/Data/Config areas etc. however if the data contains anything other than 3FFFs it gives me the error "Error Writing Program Area".

I also click "Blank Test" and it says "Device NOT Blank!" (both in or out)...

I've left the tWP and tWC at default (10uS,13mS respectively) however I have tried to crank them up a little bit as well.

I have tried using this WinPIC800 which also came on a CD with my Willem EEPROM Program.

WinPIC800 says:
ERROR -> Writing address 0x000000
Written: 0x280C Read: 0x3FFF

however it also works if you program all blank 0x3FFF

Any suggestions on what could be wrong?
Reply #1

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  11:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The PIC chip should not be placed in ZIF. There is a DIP socket for the PIC 18 pin chip.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

SpeedyDog

3 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  19:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ahh... yes, I see that, ok I've tested that out and it works now, thanks so much... I don't think it shows or says that anywhere does it?...

Anyways I see those wholes on the far right, there are a lot outside ones and then inside ones (the ones im using) I was wondering if like i could be able to get the values (hi/low) of the pins with out taking it out of the EPROM? I was wondering if those outside ports were mimics of the inside ports but something I can hook into?... if not thats fine it just takes me a good 5min to get a chip into that thing.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

mcumall

78 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  12:35:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a ICSP 5 pin header on board. It's for off board in circuit PIC chip programming.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.1 sec. Snitz Forums 2000