dual powered/29F040 problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SBNova

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  07:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK. I just got my Willem programmer, from MCUmall, through ebay. I had trouble programming AMD 29F040's with my previous Epromer6, so I bought this unit. I have a few questions, relating to some problems. I have searched this database as well as the mcumall database and I cant really find a fix. Heres what I have, and hopefully I can get this worked out.

Laptop- Compaq presario 900, windows xp, 1.7ghz AMD athlon processor.

Willem PCB3B (says on the software) "dual powered" unit- which gets its power from the USB cable. I am still using a printer type cable, all of which is brand new. Software is 97ja.

I have mostly 27c256 chips, but my problem is centered on my AMD 29F040B chips, they say -90pc,0138mbm L and 1993 on them. I have two, that were brand new three months ago. One programmed one time with my epromer, they were never erased or otherwise programmed again. One currently has data on it, the other is all FFFF's.

What is happening is that I can read the 29F040's, and the 27C256's I have. They verify. The 27C256 wont let you check the electronic ID, the 29F040 gives a "manufacture 0xFF" of " [....] " and a "device code 0xFF" fields are all blank.

When I check hardware, it says hardware found. I feel I have decent communication. The 27C256 reads fast, the 29F040 takes about 1 1/2 minutes to read.

In the included CD rom, the "jumper settings" JP-1 and JP-2 have "normal" and six other settings which dont have the 29F040 listed- so I chose normal. For VPP settings JP-5 and JP-6 I again chose normal, which has JP-5 "up" and JP-6"down". JP-7 is "down" which is shown to indicate 5v, which is what a 29F040 should be right? In the instructions it says 5v is all thats available with the USB power, and for higher voltages I would need the a/c power cord. The *other* JP-1 and JP-2, in the lower left area of the board, just left of the 12 pos dip switch, has JP-1 empty- no jumpers, and JP-2 has the jumper "up" as shown in the picture on the software when I select 29F040.

When I test hardware, and I select Vpp position 1, I get 12.52v, which is odd- because I thought it said I couldnt achieve that voltage on USB power. When I test the data out and address out, I get 4.34-4.4v in all indicated terminals except A9-26 which has 2.95v between itself and 16 no matter what way you test it. Is that my problem?

When I try to erase, I geta fast moving bar, and DQ7- but no actual erase. I found no definition of DQ7 . When I program, I get "error at 0x000000 Chip=0xFF buffer=0x00" It will read the same 29F040 all FFF's, and will blank check as "blank".

Can anyone verify my above jumper settings?

Please help me out, and thank you.
Reply #1

someone

28 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  15:25:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check your A18 jumper setting. It's located at the left side of DIP.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz Forums 2000