Novice Place
 Dallas DS1225AD
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

norman

2 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  01:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning. I'm new to programming memory devices and think I am doing something incorrectly.

I can find DS1225Y in the device list and the old device I need to replace reads and verifies OK. The new device to replace it is a DS1225AD that Dallas say is the modern replacement for this old device and is functionally the same.
However whilst the GQ-4X programmer apparently writes to it OK, verification fails.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to correctly write to a DS1225AD?

Thanks.
Reply #1

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  08:43:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what is your error message?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

norman

2 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  11:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No error message is show when writing, the bar display goes smoothly from 0% to 100% but the I get this verification error message.
Verify Failed, Address=0x000000, Device=0xFF, Buffer=0x1E
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  09:53:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The chip is not be programmed since the verify fails on 000000 address.
Try slower speed?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

Old-E

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  13:33:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More on the DS1225Y. I'm new to programming, but wanted to share a success story involving the GQ-4X4 and GQ's Support help.

Recently bought a used Tektronix 2465B Oscilloscope with some problems including a DS1225Y, a 64k Nonvolatile SRAM. While the SRAM was still functional, it has an embedded lithium battery to keep the memory alive when the scope is off. The SRAM's battery is guaranteed to last 10 years, but my SRAM was date stamped nearly 25 years ago! So replacing it ASAP is important because once it dies, the scope loses it's calibration data requiring a very expensive recalibration with a new SRAM.

Not wanting to deal with the battery again, the decision was made to replace it with an FM16W08, a 64k F-RAM. It is a ferroelectric device that needs no battery or power to keep the memory intact. The F-RAM is a compatible replacement except for one detail regarding the toggling of the address locations. The scope happens to be logically configured to work with either IC - and I understood from other scope owners that the GQ-4x was too. The DS1225Y is listed in the GQ's library, but the FM16W08 was not. The claimed work around was to use the DS1225Y position when the FM16W08 was plugged into the GQ.

This did not work because the GQ-4X4 was not compatible with the F-RAM's alternate addressing. Skipping a lot here. I contacted GQ's Support, and they confirmed that the F-RAM would indeed not work. However, because of there extreme generosity and service, they wrote custom software for me to load into the GQ-4X4 which successfully communicated with the F-RAM. They said that the FM16W08 will be included in the next software update. Should also point out that only their latest hardware version (GQ-4X4) can be programmed to communicate with the FM16W08.

Bridging the hardware gap - the original DS1225Y is a 28 pin dip, soldered into the scope's PC board. The DS1225Y was removed and replaced with a 28 pin dip socket from Digi-Key, #828-AG11D-ESL-LF, for $2.34. The FM16W08 is only available in a 28 pin surface mount package. So I purchased an adapter board from Digi-Key, #28-650000-10, for $18.54. The surface mount FM16W08 was soldered onto the adapter which was then plugged into the new socket, and everything is working great.

Again, I owe GQ Electronics many thanks for their great and speedy help in saving the scopes calibration data.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

RobMcRaf

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2016 :  05:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some info from the KLOV Forums.
h##p://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=339327&highlight=DS1225y

Hi all,

I figured I'd document everything here on what I did to fix my Silent Scope. I got a lot of this from other places on the internet, but I could not find anything comprehensive.

This fix is specific to Silent Scope, but from what I understand, the same process in general can be applied to Silent Scope 2 as well.

Symptom: booting up a Silent Scope board gives you a Hardware Error (-11p)

Fix: The Timekeeper chip has become corrupt or is likely dead.

The Timekeeper chip is made up of two parts; the bottom is the actual RAM, and the second half, the top half, is made up of two parts: an crystal oscillator, and a lithium battery. When the lithum battery dies, this error can occur. The fix will be to hack a new battery onto this chip and reprogram it. You could buy a new chip, but some of the NOS chips are likely going to die shortly also as these were produced many years ago.

Tools required:
Screw driver
Soldering iron
Dremel with carbon fiber cutting disc
Epoxy
Solder paste
Coin battery holder
CR2032 battery
2 28-pin sockets
1 short red wire
1 short black wire
1 programmer capable of read/writing the Dallas DS1225Y chip
double stick tape
1 thin piece of jumper wire

1) Remove the top board from the boardset by unscrewing and unplugging everything
2) Find the Timekeeper RAM (tallest device on the board, 28 pin labeled Timekeeper on it) and unsolder it from the board
3) Put a 28 pin socket where it used to be
4) Put a 28 pin socked on the Timekeeper RAM for now to protect the original pins. You'll be getting rough with the chip shortly.
5) Clamp chip in upright position, with the side OPPOSITE of the dot (pin 1 locator) on top.
6) Using the dremel with the cutting disc, start cutting the end of the chip off, starting roughly near the upper middle and working down. Remove layers SLOWLY. If you look at the bottom of the chip, you see a dimple there. Near there, you'll slowly dremel to uncover two battery terminals. The one nearest pin 14 will be the negative terminal, the other will be the positive terminal.
7) Once found, slowly start dremeling up the back of the chip from the terminals toward the middle of the back of the chip, slowly uncovering the connection from the terminals towards the battery. Go slowly! Near the middle of the chip you may start digging into the side of the battery itself, so stop when you start seeing a large surface area of metal.
8) When you've uncovered enough of the terminals to be able to be able to solder to them, cut through the remaining connection to the battery to disconnect it from the terminals. Measure across them to make sure there's no voltage from the battery getting to them.
9) Solder a black wire to the negative terminal
10) Solder a red wire to the positive terminal
11) With some doublestick tape, tape the coin battery holder to the top of the device.
12) Solder the red and black wires to the positive and negative terminals of the coin battery holder
13) Remove the protecting 28 pin socket
14) close up the back end of the chip with epoxy, covering the red and black wire inputs so they don't break loose (may want to do this step last if you're not confident things went well)
15) On your computer, load up the necessary RAM data into your eprom burning software. Google "silent scope nvram" and you'll likely find the data for your board. On your board there is probably a sticker saying UA or EA; use the appropriate data file.
16) Set your eprom programmer for Dallas DS1225Y
17) Insert the chip into your eprom burner socket AND using a piece of thin wire, jumper pin 26 to pin 28.
18) Insert the coin battery CR2032 into the coin battery holder
19) Burn the data to the device. If it fails the first time, try again, it might take.
20) Assuming that worked, insert the device into the new socket on the PCB (take note of pin 1 dot)
21) Reassemble boardset
22) Install boardset
23) Power up game. It should get past the hardware error this time
24) When it gets past the hardware error, you may see a BACKUP DATA ERROR. Ignore this error, and instead press the test button
25) In test, you'll be forced to setup 4 things. Do the date setup last.
26) In date setup, don't change any values or the game will require a password and lock! Instead, pull the trigger until you get to save and exit and press the player start button. It will then show some game statistics. Exit out of that as well.
27) You should now be able to setup other game features as needed, and exit.
28) Congratulations, you've fixed your Silent Scope!

At least, that's what got mine working today

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz Forums 2000