Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kuurgen

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  21:45:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First off,

I've been pulling jumpers and essentially reading the posts on here
and on Willem.org

While I appreciate that this is a "hobbyist" type of activity, there are some things i'd like to address as far as your product documentation.

First off, there are NO manuals for the TSOP adaptor I received.

I received the one that has xxs51.com stamped on it.

I have no idea what the jumper labelled 29FX00 should be set to.
(off,on, left or right)

I have no idea if the jumpers on the board should be set to.
(I'm guessing normal)

I have no clue as to what board it was that you sent me as there is no manifest. I don't know if it's a 3.5a or b.

Issues I've dealt with:

1. TSOP adapter orientation. Address lines are blocking the tsop 48 adapter from sitting flush with the board.
(With a little wiggling, it sits flush, but puts strain on the address line jumper that sits on A19.)

2. No clear documentation as to what settings will allow me to flash a 29lv6X chip.

Here's the rub:

Because the documentation is so sparse, I have no idea if I'm doing something wrong or the equipment is DEFECTIVE.

Depending on the software version dip switch 2 is either up or down.
I have no idea what it truely needs to be set to.

I have spent in excess of 8 hours prying jumpers off and on, reseating the mx29lv160 chip.

I'm tired of guessing what the magic combination of jumper settings might be and what other things have to be done.

I want this to work, but if it won't I'd like a programmer where I can seat the chip, erase and load the new bin in.

Do you sell such a programmer? I so I'd like to send this board back, I will pay for the difference In cost.

Reply #1

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  22:51:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I'm not wrong, you purchased a PRG-23 Enhanced Dual Power Willem Programmer. This programmer is the latest parallel willem programmer from this site. There is on board jumper to select board version: PCB3.5 or PCB3B. When you selected PCB3.5, it works with software 0.98D6. If you select PCB3B, it will work with 0.97ja software.

By default, the board set to PCB3.5 and you should use 0.98D6 software.

The TSOP48 adapter is a traditional TSOP48 8 bit adapter. The 29LV160 is 29FXXX family commands chip set. You need set the chip selection jumper to 29FXXX (left 2 pins) on the TSOP48 adapter. Turn OFF the 28FXXX jumper (right 2 pins).

Set the adapter to 3V Vcc jumper.(you can just simply remove the jumper)

Also, you need to connect the address line A19,A20 and A21 to programmer board. Those three address pins should not be blocked by the adapter when you put the adapter on the programmer. There are two A19, you can use any of those on the programmer.

The adapter's top should face up. The adapter's address line pins are located at bottom of adapter. The 29LV160's pin 1 should at top-left of ZIF socket.

You should be able to get correct ID (C2C4 OR C249 for MX29LV160) before doing anything else. If you can not get the ID correctly, then check the chip's contacting and orientation in ZIF.

By the way, the willem programmer and adapters are open source hobby project. All information include the schematic you can find from the web. Such as www.willem.org.

If you have any question you can post it here OR write email to support@mcumall.com
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

kuurgen

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  09:18:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you!
Sorry if the tone of my message seemed snarky, this was after about three hours of trying to get this thing to ID correctly.

I'll give your suggestions a try!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz Forums 2000