Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MCUmall Forums
 Using The Enhanced/Dual power Willem Programmer
 PIC16F628A Error Writing Program Area

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SpeedyDog Posted - 01/08/2007 : 11:08:26
Ok, I'm new to MCUs. I bought myself an enhanced willem programmer, printer port + USB power. I also bought myself a PIC16F628A from digikey.

I've put the chip in, I believe correctly. the U indention (pin 1?) on the chip is closest to the DIP Settings in the ZIF socket. I set all DIP settings as the picture shows in the program for the chip, all OFF.

Now... The program acts the same as if there is a chip in or there is no chip so i can't even decide if it's picking up my chip.

I can click Read Chip and it just displays a bunch of 3FFF in the program and 00 in the Data. If I click Program PIC while it's all 'blank' full of 3FFFs no problem takes say 30seconds to program goes through Program/Data/Config areas etc. however if the data contains anything other than 3FFFs it gives me the error "Error Writing Program Area".

I also click "Blank Test" and it says "Device NOT Blank!" (both in or out)...

I've left the tWP and tWC at default (10uS,13mS respectively) however I have tried to crank them up a little bit as well.

I have tried using this WinPIC800 which also came on a CD with my Willem EEPROM Program.

WinPIC800 says:
ERROR -> Writing address 0x000000
Written: 0x280C Read: 0x3FFF

however it also works if you program all blank 0x3FFF

Any suggestions on what could be wrong?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mcumall Posted - 01/09/2007 : 12:35:42
There is a ICSP 5 pin header on board. It's for off board in circuit PIC chip programming.
SpeedyDog Posted - 01/08/2007 : 19:52:41
ahh... yes, I see that, ok I've tested that out and it works now, thanks so much... I don't think it shows or says that anywhere does it?...

Anyways I see those wholes on the far right, there are a lot outside ones and then inside ones (the ones im using) I was wondering if like i could be able to get the values (hi/low) of the pins with out taking it out of the EPROM? I was wondering if those outside ports were mimics of the inside ports but something I can hook into?... if not thats fine it just takes me a good 5min to get a chip into that thing.
ZLM Posted - 01/08/2007 : 11:51:53
The PIC chip should not be placed in ZIF. There is a DIP socket for the PIC 18 pin chip.

MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.07 sec. Snitz Forums 2000