MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MCUmall Forums
 True USB Willem Programmer (GQ-2X,3X,4X & GQ-4x4)
 GQ-4x4 w/ADP-056 unable to program Xilinx CPLD?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cscase Posted - 02/22/2018 : 20:14:51
Hi all,
I just recently got the GQ-4x4 and I'm trying to program a Xilinx XC9572 (not XL - this is the 5v version) using the ADP-056 adapter and JTAG connection, but it does not seem to be working.

Symptom:
When I have the ADP-056 plugged into the programmer (at the very bottom of the ZIF), BOTH LEDs on the adapter light up, and they stay lit. This is even if I have nothing plugged into the JTAG header.

After selecting my device in the software, anything I click (erase, write, read, verify, etc) results in the popup error: "Data file is not loaded into buffer."

I tried this with the jumper on the adapter in both positions (power from target, power from programmer).

I have the latest version of the software and it seems like I can program a ROM without difficulty.

Am I doing something wrong or do I have a bad adapter or something?

Scott
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
anniel Posted - 03/12/2018 : 16:29:09
quote:
Originally posted by cscase

Oh. I see that it is indeed right there in manual.

I have already found a work-around using another programmer, but I will give this a shot if only to see if it works.

Thanks, Anniel!

Keep wires short and it *should* work...
cscase Posted - 03/12/2018 : 14:32:59
Oh. I see that it is indeed right there in manual.

I have already found a work-around using another programmer, but I will give this a shot if only to see if it works.

Thanks, Anniel!
anniel Posted - 03/09/2018 : 12:20:31
quote:

You mean connect the JTAG pins directly to the GQ-4x4's ZIF?? I didn't realize that was an option. Where can I find out which pins go where? The pins I need to connect are:
TCK, TDO, TDI, TMS, GND

And could I get the software to play an SVF or XSVF?

Or am I totally misunderstanding you?

Yes, ADP-056 only boosts the signals for longer wires...

For the ZIF JTAG pinout RTFM or look here...

Image Insert:

37566 bytes
cscase Posted - 02/28/2018 : 14:44:53
You mean connect the JTAG pins directly to the GQ-4x4's ZIF?? I didn't realize that was an option. Where can I find out which pins go where? The pins I need to connect are:
TCK, TDO, TDI, TMS, GND

And could I get the software to play an SVF or XSVF?

Or am I totally misunderstanding you?
anniel Posted - 02/25/2018 : 18:58:53
quote:

No, I didn't run the tests with adapter in the socket, though I may have plugged the USB cable in while the adapter in the socket, which might also be a bad thing.

I was just looking at the datasheet for that IC, but I don't have any of them onhand.

Does it work if you try without the adapter?
cscase Posted - 02/25/2018 : 18:52:44
No, I didn't run the tests with adapter in the socket, though I may have plugged the USB cable in while the adapter in the socket, which might also be a bad thing.

I was just looking at the datasheet for that IC, but I don't have any of them onhand.
anniel Posted - 02/25/2018 : 05:43:30
quote:

Ugh. I don't see any bad solder joints or bridges on the adapter, so I can only imagine that the IC is dead, since there is hardly anything to the circuit on here. There is an electrolytic cap, but I'm guessing that is only there for decoupling and shouldn't cause this symptom even if it were bad.

Well, that is not what I had hoped to hear, but it answers my question. Thanks very much for your help.

Scott

The IC is a common 74 series chip.
anniel Posted - 02/23/2018 : 10:59:12
quote:

Ugh. I don't see any bad solder joints or bridges on the adapter, so I can only imagine that the IC is dead, since there is hardly anything to the circuit on here. There is an electrolytic cap, but I'm guessing that is only there for decoupling and shouldn't cause this symptom even if it were bad.

Well, that is not what I had hoped to hear, but it answers my question. Thanks very much for your help.

Scott

Did you leave the adapter in the ZIF when performing the hardware tests?

cscase Posted - 02/23/2018 : 09:44:39

Scott
anniel Posted - 02/23/2018 : 07:32:31
quote:

quote:

Your GQ-4X4 passes the hardware tests?

Yes, all run fine.

Your adapter is bad then.
cscase Posted - 02/23/2018 : 07:19:03
quote:

Yes, all run fine.
anniel Posted - 02/23/2018 : 03:40:04
quote:

Hi all,
I just recently got the GQ-4x4 and I'm trying to program a Xilinx XC9572 (not XL - this is the 5v version) using the ADP-056 adapter and JTAG connection, but it does not seem to be working.

Symptom:
When I have the ADP-056 plugged into the programmer (at the very bottom of the ZIF), BOTH LEDs on the adapter light up, and they stay lit. This is even if I have nothing plugged into the JTAG header.

After selecting my device in the software, anything I click (erase, write, read, verify, etc) results in the popup error: "Data file is not loaded into buffer."

I tried this with the jumper on the adapter in both positions (power from target, power from programmer).

I have the latest version of the software and it seems like I can program a ROM without difficulty.

Am I doing something wrong or do I have a bad adapter or something?

Scott

MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz Forums 2000