New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bobheck

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  20:19:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Newbie question. Please go easy.

Thinking about getting into microcontroller programming. My status, seasoned programmer, but electronics hobbyist (beginner level). What I currently have is TRUE RMS DMM, oscilloscope, logic probe, logic pulser, solder station -- just to give you what I have available to work with. With all that in mind--

1. PIC or AVR? Is this a religious war, or are there true pros and cons. Looks to me AVR is a hackers route, PIC is more standardized with better overall support. Am I off base?

2. If I go with PIC, I am looking at the PIC programmers from mcumall.com, but even with all the information on the web and the mcumall.com itself, I am still confused. What is the significance of ICD2.5? Is it something I need or want? Which package would you recommend for greatest flexibility?

3. If I buy the mcumall PRG-034 ICD2.5 USB PIC Development Debugger & Programmer, I see it will work with the MPLAB IDE environment. But, will it also work with the other free/open source IDE's available on the web?

4. What would be a good set of starter chips to buy for the programmer I get?

5. Any other suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bob Heck

Edited by - bobheck on 05/08/2008 22:07:48
Reply #1

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  23:12:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. Both PIC and AVR are powerful MCU. The PIC chip is more popular in North America and the AVR is more popular in Europe I think.
2. The main strong point on ICD2.5 is: programmer and debugger 2in1. It works good on most of 5V PIC chips.
such as 12,16,18 series.
3. It only works with MPLAB. No other software will work with it as I know.\
4. If you just start to learn PIC chip, then the 12F629 or 16F628A chip is most available and popular.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz Forums 2000