New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wormhole1969@yahoo.com

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  20:36:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all,

I just got the PRG-002/3081 Dual Power Willem Universal programmer. I'm new to EPROM programming, but have been doing research. I mainly use this for pinball machine circuit boards, and program 2716 and 2732 chips.

I got the programmer to work just fine when reading chips. I'm assuming that when I load the eprom file that is supposed to be on the chip, and I read the actual chip, if the checksums match, then the coding on the chip should be identical to the file that was burned.

When writing a file to the 2716, this is what happened. I'm using what looks like new NEC D2716D Eproms. The EPROM blank check is OK. I tried the write at first at 12.5 VPP, I got an error as soon as it tried writing. When checking the blank check again, it states the EPROM is still blank. I then upped the VPP to 21volts, it then wrote across the entire chip, but upon reaching 100% I got an error. The error is: Error at 0x00011F - Chip = 0xC0 buffer = 0x80. When I click the "verify" button it also gives the same message.

Here's the strange thing. The file checksum is 0C04, and when clearing the buffer and reading the chip, the checksum is 0C04. Doesn't this mean that it wrote to the chip correctly? If so, then why the error? Should I try it at 25V VPP or would that fry the 2716D eprom?

Here are my settings:

J1 is jumpered as the bottom left 2 pins.
J2 is jumpered as the top left 2 pins. (This is for 2716 selection)
Dip Switches are set to the picture (1-on, 2-on, 3-off, 4-off, 5-off, 6-on, 7-off, 8-on, 9-on, 10-off, 11-off, 12-off.) matches the software picture.
I'm using the 0.97ja software, set to PCB3.
I am using an AC adaptor without the USB plugged in. The AC adaptor is 9volts, 1amp.

To summarize my questions:
When reading a chip and getting the same checksum as the file, is the EPROM programmed correctly?
Why the hardware error after writing to the 2716, if the checksums match?

-Pat

-Pat
Reply #1

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2009 :  17:04:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your read data checksum is correct, then the data should be progrmmed correctly. |And the possibility is the software bug. Try it on your machine and see if it works.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

wormhole1969@yahoo.com

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  15:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright sounds good.

So to verify the write:

Load the original file in the buffer.
Install the eprom with the data you would like to verify against the buffer.
Press the "Verify" button in the software.

Is this correct?

-Pat
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2009 :  00:51:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz Forums 2000