Novice Place
 A novice question testing a GQ-3X programmer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eliotroyano

27 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2009 :  15:07:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi friends. I am testing a GQ-3X programmer with a W49F002U Bios Chip from an old computer. My idea to test the programmer was to read, erase and write again the chip with it original info and use it in the computer again.
Everything starts ok, the programmer recognize it, ID Check Ok, Read Ok, Erase OK, Blank Check OK.
But the ID Check after the erase is:
Device ID (HEX) FFFF
Manufacture, Not in Library
Type Unknown Device
Revision -
And I load the bin data and when I try to write it again the programmer stop, and sends a failure screen that tells me:
Write Failed, Address=0x000000, Buffer=0x00 Device=0xFF
I also check if the chips was protected and the GQ-3X programmer tells me:
The TOP boot sector not protected. Code = 0x1
The BOTTOM boot sector not protected. Code = 0x1
* END *
Friends, what am I doing wrong? Can you help me?
Thanks,
Elio
Reply #1

eliotroyano

27 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2009 :  21:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Friends, I have looking about my problem and as I told you I can read and erase it but not write. Inclusive I notice that I can write FF again from the erase-read procedure and the memory takes it. But I test the programmer without the eeprom in the ZIF adapter and I notice that it reads the same "FF" from the erase procedure.....
Is that normal? or my programmer is bad??? This is the first time that I use it since I bought it.

Edited by - eliotroyano on 12/26/2009 21:57:42
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

eliotroyano

27 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  07:55:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Friends a question: if the chip lost it Device ID, mine says:
Device ID (HEX) FFFF
Type Unknown Device
Revision -
then I can not read or write the chip again??? I ask because in other post ZLM wrote: "If the chip ID gone, then the programmer may not be able to erase and write the chip."
Then if it be the case, how can I restore the chip ID? every time do I erase a chip it will lost it ID????
!!!!Please I need your help.!!!!!

Edited by - eliotroyano on 12/27/2009 07:57:16
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

eliotroyano

27 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  13:48:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Friends I really don't know what's happening, now I get this under ID info:
Device ID (HEX) 0000
Type Unknown Device
Revision -
When I erase it, it do it only up to 13% or 19% and the blank check fails. I try to do it at different speeds but do not work at all. If I read like this I get "0000" from 0000-0000 to 0000-0064 and 0000-0080 to 0000-00E4, everything else is "FFFF". Also I can not write it.
Do anyone can send a hint about my issue???
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  14:16:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The programmer have to get the correct chip ID. The correct chip ID means the chip is in good condition and it has good contacting in the ZIF socket.

Check your chip again and see if all pins are contact good in ZIF.
Check if you have locked chip in the ZIF socket.
Check if the chip been plased in a correct position in ZIF.

Exit the software and disconnect the programmer. Reconnect the programmer and restart the software again see if it makes any differences.

In your first post you said you can get the correct ID. Did you removed the chip after the erased?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

eliotroyano

27 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  16:11:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZLM

The programmer have to get the correct chip ID. The correct chip ID means the chip is in good condition and it has good contacting in the ZIF socket.

Check your chip again and see if all pins are contact good in ZIF.
Check if you have locked chip in the ZIF socket.
Check if the chip been plased in a correct position in ZIF.

Exit the software and disconnect the programmer. Reconnect the programmer and restart the software again see if it makes any differences.

In your first post you said you can get the correct ID. Did you removed the chip after the erased?

Thanks in advance ZLM for your reply and merry xmas.

I have checked it position, clean the pins, etc.... and it still is in the same state, ID fails, erase Ok, Blank Fails, Write Fails, Read Ok and content is 0000 in some places and the rest FFFF.

I also test restart the software and the programmer too, but the issue remains.

And as you ask me, the first time I got a correct ID, but I do not take out the chip out the ZIF adapter after the first erase procedure. All the steps was with the chip placed in the adapter.

Inclusive as a new problem I notice that some times the programmer get halt during a reading procedure or trying to write, VCC/Busy, Power and VPP leds stays "ON" but I can cancel or turns off the software.

Edited by - eliotroyano on 12/28/2009 16:18:03
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  22:46:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you find a second chip for testing?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

eliotroyano

27 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  13:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZLM

Can you find a second chip for testing?

No right now, I have tested (ID Check and Memory Read only) other two flash memories, AM29F200AB via PSOP44 ZIF Adapter and both are OK, ID OK, Read OK, but I am really afraid of doing a write test in these chips with the programmer because those memories are not easy to find and are important to me now. I need to be sure about the GQ programmer first.

I was looking for other chips to test, but I can not find other more. Inclusive electronic shops one day before holidays are all closed.

I am thinking that maybe the programmer does not had enough current from the USB port when I try to write it and maybe the chip got damage, what do you think?

And two more questions,
1.- when you erase any chip it loose it ID? or where should remain? Address xxxx?????
2.- I found a sealed transformer 120VAC - 13.5VDC 1A can I used with the programmer to support the power if it will be the case? I ask because at one side of the power plug says 9-12VDC.
Do you have any other idea to check the chip?

Edited by - eliotroyano on 12/29/2009 14:02:49
Go to Top of Page
Reply #8

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  23:25:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. Erase the chip should not erase the chip ID. The chip ID is not erasable and it is stored in a special location. The ID is read only.
2.The chip does not need external power. The USB power is good enough.

You may need to check the chip on another working programmer.

Go to Top of Page
Reply #9

eliotroyano

27 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  14:48:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ZLM but how a working chip got bad only trying to read, check, erase and write it again without taken it out the adapter? I was thinking to try with another chip when I can find it because I do not have other programmer?. Do you know if I can safe that chip because I need that computer? How can I test my programmer to know if it is totally OK???
Go to Top of Page
Reply #10

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  17:45:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Normal operation(read, check, erase,write) should not damage the chip.

You can find second chip to test the programmer. If the programmer does not work, you can return it for exchange.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #11

eliotroyano

27 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  12:22:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok Thanks a lot ZLM for your time and help with me. Let me try with another chip(s) and I will tell you.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #12

eliotroyano

27 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  18:23:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZLM

Normal operation(read, check, erase,write) should not damage the chip.
You can find second chip to test the programmer. If the programmer does not work, you can return it for exchange.

Friend finally I test the programmer with one of the 29F200 that I have and work quite good. In fact something should be wrong with the W49F002 that we talk before or could be the ZIF adapter, after working with the 29F200, it recognize the W49F002 twice but third time send the ID error again.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #13

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  08:41:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect there are some poor pin contacting between chip with adapter OR adapter with programmer socket.

If possible, clean all chip pin again or use a ohm meter test the resistance on each pin.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.11 sec. Snitz Forums 2000