MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MCUmall Forums
 True USB Willem Programmer (GQ-2X,3X,4X & GQ-4x4)
 Issues With AM29F032B-75EC
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

teknix1

24 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2016 :  16:07:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I am trying to write to an AM29F032B-75EC and just not having much success. I've seen a similar problem with this chip being described in another thread, but the solutions offered there do not work for me.

I can erase and blank check the chip, that works fine every time. When I write to it, I get failures in the verify step at what seems like random addresses. The odd thing though is that the failure is always when it is supposed to write FF. I can try writing it multiple times with the same settings and the failure points are at different addresses. The first 15% or so is always correct though. I've also tried this at different speeds but the outcome is always the same, random wrong writes. I have tried writing the chip using two different adapters ADP-082/ADP-077 and my own adapter and the behaviour is the same, so I know this isn't related to the socket on the ADP-077. On the ADP-082, I played with the jumpers:

J1 and J2: need to be closed or else it doesn't ID, write or erase
J3: 3V or 5V, I seem to achieve the same result, I did notice a lot more bad bytes on one test using 3V and -2 writing speed
J5: Needs to be on 1.0 or can't ID

I am using an older programmer, GQ-3X (Re-1.00) with the last version of the software that supports it, 5.03B. First off, this device does not exist in the devices.txt, so I added the following line:

Name="AM29F032B*TSOP40",ID="04D4",Class="29F040B",Category="FLASH",MFG="AMD",CodeSize="4194304",DIP="100011110101",Adapter="TSOP40B-DIP32";

I would love to understand those DIP switches, if anybody has the documentation, I would appreciate if you could post it. The real ID for this chip should be 0141 but it is always returning 04D4. I've seen this in another thread as well.

I usually end up with about 30 or so wrong bytes across the 4MB, is there a way to just write one byte at a specific address? I don't even know if this could be a temporary solution, but I thought I could try re-writing only the bad bytes.

Thanks in advance
Nic
Reply #1

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2016 :  22:07:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
think about the chip, try another chip if possible.

The line you added to the device list is working.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

teknix1

24 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2016 :  23:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply.

I only own two of these devices, they both do the same thing. Most likely they are from the same batch.

Can you confirm that I should be able to program this device with the GQ-3X Re-1.00? I Tried using a newer version of the software and it told me this device was incompatible with my hardware revision.

Nic
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

ZLM

2937 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  12:52:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think your GQ-3X is able to support this chip.

Your GQ-3X is Re1.00. It is the first releases of firmware. There are some bugs have been fixed after that.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

teknix1

24 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  15:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you asked me if I had tried other chips, did you mean the same chip number or any other chip? I have programmed a number of other flash memories before, AM29F040 AM29F080, never had issues with those.

Is it worth upgrading the firmware on my programmer, is there a chance it might fix this issue?

I also read in the datasheet that the -75 variant of this chip requires a more stable Vcc, 4.75V to 5.25V vs 4.5V to 5.5V for the other speeds. How stable is the power throughout the GQ-3X? Perhaps I should try an external power source? What are the specs for the power adapter?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you, your help is greatly appreciated.
Nic
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

teknix1

24 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  09:53:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No need to reply about the power adapter, I just realized the board is labeled. I checked the 5V on my chip while it was being programmed, I saw it fluctuate well outside of the recommended range. I'm talking less than 4 volts. So I tried 2 power adapters I could find at home that fit the requirements, one was 12 volts, poor 7805, I had to add a heat sink. But still no luck, I get failed writes every time. The Vcc was however very stable with a power supply attached.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

teknix1

24 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  12:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I've worked quite a bit at this issue today. I realized by pressing the verify button multiple times that it does not always fail at the same address for a single write. So I started wondering if the issue was with reading instead of writing. After programming it, I read the chip multiple times and compared the results to the original file using a compare tool. I can confirm the failed reads are not at the same addresses between reads. So I wrote a quick app to compare about a dozen files with the source. This confirmed my new theory. With enough reads, I can actually validate the entire binary. I also tested the chip in my application and it works.

Anybody ever heard of failed reads with the AM29F032B-75EC? Or with any other chip?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

anniel

2531 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  15:56:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it is not reliably programmed.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #8

teknix1

24 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  18:12:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi anniel, could you clarify a little? What isn't reliably programmed? I can confirm the chip is correctly programmed in my case, so are you talking about the programmer's firmware?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #9

anniel

2531 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  04:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No the chip. The CMOS cells are probably not shifted to the right voltage.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #10

teknix1

24 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2016 :  14:59:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had no idea this was even possible. Definitely, I need to learn the inner workings of cmos cells. However, I still think the programming part is still correct as the chips works perfectly my application or is that just luck... I'm not quite sure where to go from here. Perhaps I should try buying new chips.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.11 sec. Snitz Forums 2000