MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MCUmall Forums
 True USB Willem Programmer (GQ-2X,3X,4X & GQ-4x4)
 HN462532G blank after programming

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
HawaiinPunch Posted - 06/15/2017 : 15:48:33
I have succesfully programmed some Texas Instruments TMS2532JL eproms but now am trying to do the same with some Hitachi HN462532G's. They appear to write without issue but the verify fails. After all of this the chip verifies as blank. I have tried erasing some and trying again, same result. I have tried different writing speeds too. +2 results in a failure writing at 4%, 0 and below writes succesfully (but is blank afterwords).

I have tried various USB ports, cables, and an external power supply on the programmer with no change in result.

Advice? Thank you.

Writing... Buffer
Elapsed time: 12.90 seconds.
Device write completed OK
ID check skipped
Verifying... Buffer
Verify Failed, Address=0x000000, Device=0xFF, Buffer=0xF5
Verify Failed
Elapsed time: 3.10 seconds.
58   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
anniel Posted - 12/28/2017 : 06:03:00
quote:
Originally posted by supervizeur

quote:
Originally posted by anniel

quote:
Originally posted by mandelbrot

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by HawaiinPunch

By any chance are yours from China on Ebay? Mine are - I wonder if they are fake, re-labeled, or perhaps were over exposed to UV and ruined?

Yes, mine are from here www.ebay.com/itm/391516360336
If yours too, most likely they are defective eproms. I will buy some HN462532G eproms from another supplier and I'll tell you if they work.

I have buy another HN462532G set from other Chinese provider and this second time I have programmed them with no problem. The first batch was, as anniel said, chinese junk.

quote:

Classic China junk. They simply sand off the part numbers and print whatever part number has the same pin count and is in demand to get the most out of the stock the have. Even saw some chips painted black an printed over the paint and the acetone test reveals the original #. Some are more sophisticate and sandblast the chip and engrave the new part # for pricier chips, I have a few rare IDT RISC fakes like this.

Damn chinese fakers!

If you want a little more insight on fakes...

www.univ-st-etienne.fr/salware/Bibliography_Salware/IC%20Counterfeiting/Article/Guin2013.pdf

www.utdallas.edu/~gxm112130/papers/pieee14.pdf

h**p://pdfserv.maximintegrated.com/en/an/TUT5458.pdf

https://iconnect007.uberflip.com/i/844209-smt-july2017/20

www.aeri.com/counterfeit-electronic-component-detection/

https://atadiat.com/en/articles/e-introduction-counterfeit-ics-counterfeiting-detection-avoidance-methods/
supervizeur Posted - 08/03/2017 : 06:04:32
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

By any chance are yours from China on Ebay? Mine are - I wonder if they are fake, re-labeled, or perhaps were over exposed to UV and ruined?

If yours too, most likely they are defective eproms. I will buy some HN462532G eproms from another supplier and I'll tell you if they work.

I have buy another HN462532G set from other Chinese provider and this second time I have programmed them with no problem. The first batch was, as anniel said, chinese junk.

quote:

Classic China junk. They simply sand off the part numbers and print whatever part number has the same pin count and is in demand to get the most out of the stock the have. Even saw some chips painted black an printed over the paint and the acetone test reveals the original #. Some are more sophisticate and sandblast the chip and engrave the new part # for pricier chips, I have a few rare IDT RISC fakes like this.

Damn chinese fakers!

www.univ-st-etienne.fr/salware/Bibliography_Salware/IC%20Counterfeiting/Article/Guin2013.pdf

No one is sheltered.

+1
supervizeur Posted - 08/03/2017 : 06:03:57
quote:

quote:

quote:

To follow up I have concluded it's this batch of EPROMs from China. They are either defective or fake. I can read them, some contained trace data in strange patterns. I UV erased them and they were then blank... I have been unable to get them to retain any new programming though. I injected 25v VPP, all the way up to 28V even... no luck. I bought a vintage EPROM programmer that supports this chip and got the exact same result, won't take new programming. One interesting thing though... the vintage programmer detected some weren't blank after the GQ-4x4 said they were blank. It was able to reliably read data from EPROMs when the GQ found none. The reason for all of this? Who knows, and I don't really care. Moving on...

China! Best place to buy back junk we send them as scrap.

+1
They recycle everything.

True.
anniel Posted - 07/15/2017 : 06:50:15
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Damn chinese fakers!

No one is sheltered.
anniel Posted - 07/15/2017 : 06:48:50
quote:

quote:

To follow up I have concluded it's this batch of EPROMs from China. They are either defective or fake. I can read them, some contained trace data in strange patterns. I UV erased them and they were then blank... I have been unable to get them to retain any new programming though. I injected 25v VPP, all the way up to 28V even... no luck. I bought a vintage EPROM programmer that supports this chip and got the exact same result, won't take new programming. One interesting thing though... the vintage programmer detected some weren't blank after the GQ-4x4 said they were blank. It was able to reliably read data from EPROMs when the GQ found none. The reason for all of this? Who knows, and I don't really care. Moving on...

+1
They recycle everything.
anniel Posted - 07/15/2017 : 06:47:23
quote:

quote:

quote:

Okay, so what do I need to know about injecting an external VPP? Thanks

Isolate the concerned pins.

+1
Important!

Yes.
supervizeur Posted - 07/10/2017 : 10:17:36
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Damn chinese fakers!

supervizeur Posted - 07/09/2017 : 08:00:06
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Damn chinese fakers!

+1
Good docs.
supervizeur Posted - 07/09/2017 : 07:59:25
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Damn chinese fakers!

+1
supervizeur Posted - 07/09/2017 : 07:58:55
quote:

+1
I also have a nice collection of blacktops.
supervizeur Posted - 07/09/2017 : 07:57:37
quote:

supervizeur Posted - 07/09/2017 : 07:55:20
quote:

quote:

Okay, I'll consider this as a potential option. Does the external VPP need to be injected at a specific time or just inject VPP, write, disconnect VPP?

Deselect every other commands and inject.

+1
supervizeur Posted - 07/09/2017 : 07:54:38
quote:

quote:

+1
Important!
supervizeur Posted - 07/09/2017 : 07:53:14
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ZLM

The VPP only on when needed during the writing. It is pulses when writing. So, the multi-meter may not work correctly in this case.

Since this is a confirmed chip in the device list, then you may need to make sure the chip has no problem. Many dead EPROMs has same symptoms.

The software voltage diagnostic check the actual voltage value.

All true.

+1
supervizeur Posted - 07/09/2017 : 07:52:30
quote:

quote:

If the programmer is putting out 21v instead of 25v then I certainly suspect that could be the issue. What is the suggested resolution?

Could be. Try some other 25V chips.

quote:

Is there a way to make the programmer put out 25v?
Can the VPP be provided externally by use of an adapter that bypasses the programmers VPP?

Yes, an external variable voltage source like for reading difficult chips.

+1
supervizeur Posted - 07/09/2017 : 07:51:45
quote:

quote:

I tested again, VPP is 21 volts, with and without an external power supply. It should be 25v.

Maybe lossy chips.

+1
Lossy Lucy.
supervizeur Posted - 07/09/2017 : 07:51:09
quote:

quote:

quote:

[quote]

Another source is good to compare chip markings.

+1
supervizeur Posted - 07/09/2017 : 07:50:37
quote:

quote:

quote:

[quote]I have the same problem programming the HN462532G. If I try to record at +2 it stops at 3% and if I try at a slower speed, it seems that it goes well but in the end verify fail at address 0x000000.

That is certainly possible.

+1
supervizeur Posted - 07/09/2017 : 07:49:57
quote:

quote:

quote:

I have succesfully programmed some Texas Instruments TMS2532JL eproms but now am trying to do the same with some Hitachi HN462532G's. They appear to write without issue but the verify fails. After all of this the chip verifies as blank. I have tried erasing some and trying again, same result. I have tried different writing speeds too. +2 results in a failure writing at 4%, 0 and below writes succesfully (but is blank afterwords).

I have tried various USB ports, cables, and an external power supply on the programmer with no change in result.

Advice? Thank you.

Writing... Buffer
ID check skipped
Verifying... Buffer
Verify Failed

I have the same problem programming the HN462532G. If I try to record at +2 it stops at 3% and if I try at a slower speed, it seems that it goes well but in the end verify fail at address 0x000000.

I have tried in various PC with XP, Win 10, with no result.

Bad chips?

+1
anniel Posted - 07/04/2017 : 06:58:39
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Damn chinese fakers!

mandelbrot Posted - 07/04/2017 : 06:27:34
quote:

quote:

quote:

Damn chinese fakers!
anniel Posted - 07/03/2017 : 12:41:40
HawaiinPunch Posted - 06/29/2017 : 15:32:36
anniel Posted - 06/27/2017 : 12:18:52
quote:

quote:

Don't forget to isolate the concerned pins.

+1
anniel Posted - 06/27/2017 : 12:18:19
quote:

+1
anniel Posted - 06/27/2017 : 12:17:36
quote:

Yes, inject VPP, write, disconnect VPP. While at it also have a look at VCC.
After the write cycle(s) you can proceed to the verify command in a regular manner.

+1
anniel Posted - 06/27/2017 : 12:15:31
quote:

Okay, I'll consider this as a potential option. Does the external VPP need to be injected at a specific time or just inject VPP, write, disconnect VPP?

Deselect every other commands and inject.
anniel Posted - 06/27/2017 : 12:13:28
quote:

quote:

Same GND, isolate the ZIF from the device VPP (paper or Kapton "V"), use only the write command.

http://www.mcumall.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8006

+1
anniel Posted - 06/27/2017 : 12:12:49
quote:

anniel Posted - 06/27/2017 : 12:11:12
quote:

I know ZLM but a good multimeter can get an almost accurate measurement (a scope is better).

Yes a dead EPROM can give the same symptoms bu many flaky chips where revived by injecting VPP and/or VCC directly to the pins.

Yes the software voltage diagnostic gives the actual voltage values but borderline chips can draw more current than can be supplied by the GQ-4X.

Also true.
anniel Posted - 06/27/2017 : 12:10:06
quote:
Originally posted by ZLM

The VPP only on when needed during the writing. It is pulses when writing. So, the multi-meter may not work correctly in this case.

Since this is a confirmed chip in the device list, then you may need to make sure the chip has no problem. Many dead EPROMs has same symptoms.

All true.
anniel Posted - 06/27/2017 : 12:08:26
quote:

anniel? Suggestion?

Yes, see previous post.
anniel Posted - 06/27/2017 : 12:07:23
quote:

If the programmer is putting out 21v instead of 25v then I certainly suspect that could be the issue. What is the suggested resolution?

Could be. Try some other 25V chips.

quote:

Can the VPP be provided externally by use of an adapter that bypasses the programmers VPP?

Yes, an external variable voltage source like for reading difficult chips.
anniel Posted - 06/27/2017 : 12:02:57
quote:

I tested again, VPP is 21 volts, with and without an external power supply. It should be 25v.

Maybe lossy chips.
anniel Posted - 06/27/2017 : 11:58:02
quote:

quote:

[quote]

Another source is good to compare chip markings.
anniel Posted - 06/27/2017 : 11:55:08
quote:

quote:

[quote]I have the same problem programming the HN462532G. If I try to record at +2 it stops at 3% and if I try at a slower speed, it seems that it goes well but in the end verify fail at address 0x000000.

That is certainly possible.
anniel Posted - 06/27/2017 : 11:54:08
quote:

quote:

Advice? Thank you.

Writing... Buffer
ID check skipped
Verifying... Buffer
Verify Failed

I have the same problem programming the HN462532G. If I try to record at +2 it stops at 3% and if I try at a slower speed, it seems that it goes well but in the end verify fail at address 0x000000.

Bad chips?
supervizeur Posted - 06/21/2017 : 16:15:04
quote:

supervizeur Posted - 06/21/2017 : 16:14:24

supervizeur Posted - 06/21/2017 : 15:59:02
Yes, inject VPP, write, disconnect VPP. While at it also have a look at VCC.
After the write cycle(s) you can proceed to the verify command in a regular manner.
HawaiinPunch Posted - 06/21/2017 : 13:03:36
supervizeur Posted - 06/20/2017 : 19:28:51
quote:

Same GND, isolate the ZIF from the device VPP (paper or Kapton "V"), use only the write command.

http://www.mcumall.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8006
HawaiinPunch Posted - 06/20/2017 : 18:04:01
supervizeur Posted - 06/20/2017 : 17:42:35
I know ZLM but a good multimeter can get an almost accurate measurement (a scope is better).

Yes a dead EPROM can give the same symptoms bu many flaky chips where revived by injecting VPP and/or VCC directly to the pins.

Yes the software voltage diagnostic gives the actual voltage values but borderline chips can draw more current than can be supplied by the GQ-4X.
ZLM Posted - 06/20/2017 : 14:54:06

HawaiinPunch Posted - 06/20/2017 : 06:51:34
quote:
Do you have access to a lab power supply?

Yes
supervizeur Posted - 06/20/2017 : 04:45:28
quote:

Do you have access to a lab power supply?
HawaiinPunch Posted - 06/19/2017 : 16:02:47
anniel? Suggestion?
HawaiinPunch Posted - 06/19/2017 : 08:09:29

HawaiinPunch Posted - 06/19/2017 : 04:02:25
mandelbrot Posted - 06/18/2017 : 12:47:17
quote:

[quote]

HawaiinPunch Posted - 06/16/2017 : 15:32:40
quote:

mandelbrot Posted - 06/16/2017 : 13:47:38
quote:

Advice? Thank you.

Writing... Buffer
ID check skipped
Verifying... Buffer
Verify Failed

anniel Posted - 06/16/2017 : 13:33:53
quote:

quote:

Yes, but when programming the chip?

How do I find out?

Multimeter?
HawaiinPunch Posted - 06/16/2017 : 13:25:04
quote:

How do I find out?
anniel Posted - 06/16/2017 : 10:47:00
HawaiinPunch Posted - 06/16/2017 : 09:54:15
Voltage diagnostic is below. I should also mention this is a GQ-4x4. Thank you.

* Testing VCC Without Load *
VCC 3.6V test passed (code:0x6464)+
VCC 5V test passed (code:0x8484)+
VCC 5.5V test passed (code:0x938f)+
VCC 6.2V test passed (code:0xa2a2)+
VCC 6.5V test passed (code:0xa2a2)+
* Testing VPP Without Load *
VPP 3.6V/5V test passed (code:0x1b1b)+
VPP 12V test passed (code:0x4d4d)+
VPP 12.7V test passed (code:0x4d4d)+
VPP 15V test passed (code:0x6160)+
VPP 21V test passed (code:0x8484)-
VPP 25V test passed (code:0x9899)+
* Test Completed *
anniel Posted - 06/15/2017 : 18:50:58
quote:

Advice? Thank you.

Writing... Buffer
ID check skipped
Verifying... Buffer
Verify Failed

VPP is ok?

MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.13 sec. Snitz Forums 2000