burning 2764
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

troyster42

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  18:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have seen a couple posts asking about burning a 2764 chip and I haven't seen an answer to why or how to burn them. I have 4 chips 2 different brands and none of them will burn. I can read the chip is blank, I can check to see if the chip is blank but no matter what I choice I can't verify the file or burn it. I get the error that pretty much says it can't write to the first address. Does anyone have a solution? I am new to this but I have been able to burn other chips with no issues it is at the moment just a 2764.

Thanks in advance.
Reply #1

anniel

2530 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  04:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by troyster42

Hi, I have seen a couple posts asking about burning a 2764 chip and I haven't seen an answer to why or how to burn them. I have 4 chips 2 different brands and none of them will burn. I can read the chip is blank, I can check to see if the chip is blank but no matter what I choice I can't verify the file or burn it. I get the error that pretty much says it can't write to the first address. Does anyone have a solution? I am new to this but I have been able to burn other chips with no issues it is at the moment just a 2764.

Thanks in advance.

Those are vintage chips or new?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

troyster42

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  06:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anniel

quote:

Thanks in advance.

The first chips I used looked new the date on them are 1996. The most recent one I tried are vintage I'm not sure of the year but I know they were pulls. Bellow is what is on the chips.
Latest chip tried "Pull"
62 31573
a 30853
8530lc P

First Chip tried.
am2764
-20dc
0419cpm
1996 amd

Oh I am using the GQ-4X programmer and I do have the external power cord. Hope this information helps for a solution.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

anniel

2530 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  06:21:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks in advance.

The first chips I used looked new the date on them are 1996. The most recent one I tried are vintage I'm not sure of the year but I know they were pulls. Bellow is what is on the chips.
Latest chip tried "Pull"
62 31573
a 30853
8530lc P

First Chip tried.
am2764
-20dc
0419cpm
1996 amd

Oh I am using the GQ-4X programmer and I do have the external power cord. Hope this information helps for a solution.

Do they ID correctly?

What makes you think your pull is a 2764?

Your first chip tried could easily be a fake. Have a look here: http://www.mcumall.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9290
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

troyster42

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  07:59:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks in advance.

Latest chip tried "Pull"
62 31573
a 30853
8530lc P

First Chip tried.
am2764
-20dc
0419cpm
1996 amd

Do they ID correctly?

Your first chip tried could easily be a fake. Have a look here: http://www.mcumall.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9290

I actually haven't had the ID function work yet. I click it and I get a pop up that says its not available, even with the chips that have burned. The pulled chip came from a guy that has been selling for a long time and he said they were "AM2764A(6231573)housemarked, AMD logo" in an email. Besides his word I can't be sure what they are. The first chip I thought it could be fake too, that one I got from a online company that sells quite a variety of electronics.

I now have another Noob question about the ID part. Once I put the chip in the programmer and choice the device I should be able to hit ID and if its a match it should tell me? If it says not available, that means it not a match?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

anniel

2530 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  08:40:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks in advance.

Latest chip tried "Pull"
62 31573
a 30853
8530lc P

First Chip tried.
am2764
-20dc
0419cpm
1996 amd

Do they ID correctly?

I actually haven't had the ID function work yet. I click it and I get a pop up that says its not available, even with the chips that have burned. The pulled chip came from a guy that has been selling for a long time and he said they were "AM2764A(6231573)housemarked, AMD logo" in an email. Besides his word I can't be sure what they are. The first chip I thought it could be fake too, that one I got from a online company that sells quite a variety of electronics.

I now have another Noob question about the ID part. Once I put the chip in the programmer and choice the device I should be able to hit ID and if its a match it should tell me? If it says not available, that means it not a match?

If you tried to program a 2764A like a 2764 it's probably damaged now.

For the ID, I'm not sure the 2764 supported it now that you mention it. Would need to look that up unless someone else chimes in.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

troyster42

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  09:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks in advance.

Latest chip tried "Pull"
62 31573
a 30853
8530lc P

First Chip tried.
am2764
-20dc
0419cpm
1996 amd

Do they ID correctly?

For the ID, I'm not sure the 2764 supported it now that you mention it. Would need to look that up unless someone else chimes in.

Thanks for the help here. I think I did try and burn the pulled chips as 2764A first and it failed, I have others and will try that to make sure again. Maybe what I am doing is wrong but has worked for the other chips. I put the chip in, choose a devise, load the bin file into the buffer then hit verify. If the verify works I can burn them, if not then I go back and choose a different device. I thought the verify was like a check to see if it would actually burn
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

anniel

2530 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  10:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks in advance.

Latest chip tried "Pull"
62 31573
a 30853
8530lc P

First Chip tried.
am2764
-20dc
0419cpm
1996 amd

Do they ID correctly?

Thanks for the help here. I think I did try and burn the pulled chips as 2764A first and it failed, I have others and will try that to make sure again. Maybe what I am doing is wrong but has worked for the other chips. I put the chip in, choose a devise, load the bin file into the buffer then hit verify. If the verify works I can burn them, if not then I go back and choose a different device. I thought the verify was like a check to see if it would actually burn

I looked it up, the 2764A does support the ID but not the 2764.

The beginning of your routine is ok but skip the verify, you need to do a blank check then program your EPROM.

AFTER programming a verify looks for discrepencies between your device and the buffer to confirm if the burn was ok.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #8

troyster42

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  10:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I decided to do the quote with the one as its getting long. So I should be able to put the pulled chip that I was told was a 2764A in the programmer, choice 2764A as the device then click on the ID and it should come up with 2764A? If it doesn't then they are not what I was told they are? Yeah I do a blank check on them, I had to erase the pulls. After the erase it came up blank when I checked. When I get in tonight I'll grab another and see what happens.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #9

anniel

2530 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  11:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I decided to do the quote with the one as its getting long. So I should be able to put the pulled chip that I was told was a 2764A in the programmer, choice 2764A as the device then click on the ID and it should come up with 2764A? If it doesn't then they are not what I was told they are? Yeah I do a blank check on them, I had to erase the pulls. After the erase it came up blank when I checked. When I get in tonight I'll grab another and see what happens.

Almost, from the datasheet an AM2764A should come up with the ID 0108.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #10

troyster42

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  15:13:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ok, well I tried. I erased another pulled one. I added AM2764A as a device, checked if it was blank and it was. I clicked on the ID check and it says the deceive is not supported. I tried to burn it and it failed like the rest of them. The error message I am getting is " Write failed, Address=0x000000, Buffer=0xEA Device=0xFF" to me that means its not ble to write to the first spot in memory. Any other ideas? Oh where did you find the device ID at? Thanks
Go to Top of Page
Reply #11

anniel

2530 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  17:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Ok, well I tried. I erased another pulled one. I added AM2764A as a device, checked if it was blank and it was. I clicked on the ID check and it says the deceive is not supported. I tried to burn it and it failed like the rest of them. The error message I am getting is " Write failed, Address=0x000000, Buffer=0xEA Device=0xFF" to me that means its not ble to write to the first spot in memory. Any other ideas? Oh where did you find the device ID at? Thanks

Sir, you are probably dealing with fake or mystery chips.

In a datasheet.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #12

troyster42

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  19:11:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

In a datasheet.

I had a feeling that was going to be the out come. I'll be in touch with both tomorrow and see what happens. I did order some of ebay that again are supposed to be good pulls. Over the weekend I'll look at the other chips I got and see what I find out. It just sucks for me as buring that one chip is the main reason I got the burner. I was burning a test diagnostics on it to help trouble shoot a board. Once I get the new ones or hear anything helpful from either vendor I'll post back. Thanks again for all of the Help!
Go to Top of Page
Reply #13

troyster42

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  19:38:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just tried another pull that is supposed to be AM2764A and it worked! It still wouldnt pull up the ID but it burnt it and verified it.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #14

anniel

2530 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2019 :  04:51:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

In a datasheet.

I had a feeling that was going to be the out come. I'll be in touch with both tomorrow and see what happens. I did order some of ebay that again are supposed to be good pulls. Over the weekend I'll look at the other chips I got and see what I find out. It just sucks for me as buring that one chip is the main reason I got the burner. I was burning a test diagnostics on it to help trouble shoot a board. Once I get the new ones or hear anything helpful from either vendor I'll post back. Thanks again for all of the Help!

Out of curiosity is it for musical instruments?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #15

anniel

2530 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2019 :  05:01:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just tried another pull that is supposed to be AM2764A and it worked! It still wouldnt pull up the ID but it burnt it and verified it.

I have lots of blacktopped chips that present similar defects here. Does all dies look the same? Care to post pictures?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #16

troyster42

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2019 :  06:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I have lots of blacktopped chips that present similar defects here. Does all dies look the same? Care to post pictures?

I'll post some pics tonight or tomorrow. The ones that were pulls seem to all be the same, they also still have the residue of some tape on them. The one marked as AM2764 do look like black top chips. I'll take pics of both and post.

the board is from a Gottlieb pinball machine. Its not working at the moment and there's a test image you can burn and put in where the the game eprom goes and it tests various chips with led flashes to help pin point what the problems are.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #17

anniel

2530 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2019 :  07:55:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I'll post some pics tonight or tomorrow. The ones that were pulls seem to all be the same, they also still have the residue of some tape on them. The one marked as AM2764 do look like black top chips. I'll take pics of both and post.

the board is from a Gottlieb pinball machine. Its not working at the moment and there's a test image you can burn and put in where the the game eprom goes and it tests various chips with led flashes to help pin point what the problems are.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
Reply #18

troyster42

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2019 :  19:15:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks!

Here a 2 pics, the first one is 3 that were pulled, the second pic are the new ones that are most likely fake.

Image Insert:

3801054 bytes

Image Insert:

4537133 bytes
Go to Top of Page
Reply #19

anniel

2530 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2019 :  04:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again for the pics.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #20

troyster42

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2019 :  20:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're welcome, sorry for the size. Thanks for all of your help too!
Go to Top of Page
Reply #21

anniel

2530 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2019 :  21:25:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You're welcome, sorry for the size. Thanks for all of your help too!

No, you're welcome, they say size doesn't matter. I just like to see problems resolved.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.12 sec. Snitz Forums 2000