MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MCUmall Forums
 True USB Willem Programmer (GQ-2X,3X,4X & GQ-4x4)
 Linux version of GQ-4X software?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

justniz

1 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2016 :  11:29:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please make a linux version of the software for GQ-4X !!!
Reply #1

Leonartisan

6 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2017 :  13:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I support this!
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

anniel

2529 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2017 :  06:06:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by justniz

What benefit would that bring?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

supervizeur

462 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2017 :  05:58:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

supervizeur

462 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2017 :  06:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anniel

quote:

None, and dont forget the Linux crowd likes to modify and tweak software so they'll end up with a hand full of incompatible GQ-4X software distros.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

anniel

2529 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  04:45:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by supervizeur

quote:

Why?

I also wonder why.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

anniel

2529 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  04:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by supervizeur

quote:
Originally posted by anniel

quote:

None, and dont forget the Linux crowd likes to modify and tweak software so they'll end up with a hand full of incompatible GQ-4X software distros.

Yes a hand full of GQ-4X software distros, like Linux.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

SpeedD408

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  12:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm evaluating leaving Windows 10 and going to Linux. I just installed Pop_OS, a Debian/Umbuntu based Linux and so far it is doing very well. This is one of the programs that may force me to get a cheep laptop to run Win10 and just store it with the burner if there is no hope for a Linux port. I would think this would be on the road map some place as MacOS is FreeBSD based and therefore very Linux like so doing a Linux or MacOS version would lead to the other very easily. I don't need, nor do I care if you open source your product. It's your product and you can close or open it if you wish. I have an nVidia graphics card and run the closed source bin. I just want the best computing experience I can get and I'm getting tired of MS Windows bloat. In my opinion, the last good computer Apple produced was the 65C816 based IIgs. :) I have an older Macbook Pro running 10.13.6 as I needed one program (applesauce), though they are working on a Linux port of that as well. I'm down to about 3 programs at this point keeping me on Windows and I hope that a port will occur or a Windows VM will work.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #8

anniel

2529 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  13:51:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SpeedD408

I'm evaluating leaving Windows 10 and going to Linux. I just installed Pop_OS, a Debian/Umbuntu based Linux and so far it is doing very well. This is one of the programs that may force me to get a cheep laptop to run Win10 and just store it with the burner if there is no hope for a Linux port. I would think this would be on the road map some place as MacOS is FreeBSD based and therefore very Linux like so doing a Linux or MacOS version would lead to the other very easily. I don't need, nor do I care if you open source your product. It's your product and you can close or open it if you wish. I have an nVidia graphics card and run the closed source bin. I just want the best computing experience I can get and I'm getting tired of MS Windows bloat. In my opinion, the last good computer Apple produced was the 65C816 based IIgs. :) I have an older Macbook Pro running 10.13.6 as I needed one program (applesauce), though they are working on a Linux port of that as well. I'm down to about 3 programs at this point keeping me on Windows and I hope that a port will occur or a Windows VM will work.

I suppose you could run a VM.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #9

Tom Stock

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2020 :  16:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm evaluating leaving Windows 10 and going to Linux.

The software should work fine in virtualbox as long as you install the os extensions and remember to add a USB 2.0 device in the advanced options for the machine settings.

I'm running the software for a TL8676II on a Mac in an XPSP3 virtual box, although there is also a linux/mac open source (bare bones) project which works fine for that programmer.

I haven't received my GQ04X4 yet, but was not happy to see no Linux or mac software available. I almost cancelled the order but figured I'd give it a try in a virtual machine. I absolutely hate having to use a virtual machine but the pain of a virtual machine for one task is less paint than windows for every task.

Problem with this approach is you need a $125 windows license for this one program unless you find an old copy of XP with serial. Luckily I already had one set up for the TL866II.

Edited by - Tom Stock on 01/12/2020 16:16:37
Go to Top of Page
Reply #10

anniel

2529 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2020 :  06:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Stock

quote:

The software should work fine in virtualbox as long as you install the os extensions and remember to add a USB 2.0 device in the advanced options for the machine settings.

I'm running the software for a TL8676II on a Mac in an XPSP3 virtual box, although there is also a linux/mac open source (bare bones) project which works fine for that programmer.

I haven't received my GQ04X4 yet, but was not happy to see no Linux or mac software available. I almost cancelled the order but figured I'd give it a try in a virtual machine. I absolutely hate having to use a virtual machine but the pain of a virtual machine for one task is less paint than windows for every task.

Problem with this approach is you need a $125 windows license for this one program unless you find an old copy of XP with serial. Luckily I already had one set up for the TL866II.

It should work.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #11

anniel

2529 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2020 :  06:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

There is a Linux version for the GQ-5X.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #12

Tom Stock

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2020 :  21:41:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats interesting. I did email MCUMall today and was told there is a linux and mac version, but I haven't any details.

So far I can't get my new 4x4 to work under VirtualBox on my Mac even though the driver is installed and working.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #13

anniel

2529 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2020 :  05:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thats interesting. I did email MCUMall today and was told there is a linux and mac version, but I haven't any details.

So far I can't get my new 4x4 to work under VirtualBox on my Mac even though the driver is installed and working.

www.mcumall.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4026
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MCUmall EPROM BIOS Chip Burner Forum © Copyright 2003 - 2009 Mcumall Electronics Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.14 sec. Snitz Forums 2000